Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$3 for fat quarter ? >

$3 for fat quarter ?

$3 for fat quarter ?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM

That would be $7-$8 a yard not a bolt of fabric.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM

I think that it depends on how much you love the fabric. Love can be expensive. I also think it depends on the buyer. Each buyer has the choice to buy or not.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 AM

It read fat quarters. I did buy a quick cut. Nice fabric, right now I will be going to Lynchburg to buy fabric from a lady. Fabric that is donated to me goes into the quilts for charity and it is nice. When I buy I usally spend time making the quilt blocks accurate. The first few will be for my home. A house fire destroyed 12 quilts that I had in an antique truck.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Here in rural SW Oklahoma, we usually don’t cut FQs until someone asks for one, and then we’ll cut and sell a single FQ from any one of our bolts of fabrics. Each FQ is priced at 1/4 of the price on the bolt of fabric. Since we have to cut two to get one, we’ve started a small stock of “orphan” FQs and they’re all different prices depending on what the price of the bolt was when the first FQ was sold. Once in a while, we’ll order a FQ bundle or two and price them close to suggested retail, but we prefer to handle yardage.

We’re a small “Mom & Pop” shop with no employees to have to pay for cutting them, so that makes a difference in what we have to charge. Also, we’re off the beaten path far enough that we usually have time to cut FQs when asked, so we don’t see the need to have them precut. When a carload of quilters rolls in and starts packing bolts of fabric to the cutting table for FQs, they are usually ok with having to wait while it’s done. Plus, they get to watch them get cut. It’s kind of “FQs cut to order”.

I once cut a FQ from a bolt of canvas for a customer. She needed a small piece the size of a FQ for a project, so I cut it for her. We’ve cut 3” strips and other widths of fabric, including our $1/yard sale fabric, for customers several times. It’s just another thing that we can do to help the customer along with their project.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Do you have a website? I'll bet you would get plenty of customers from here.
Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Here in rural SW Oklahoma, we usually don’t cut FQs until someone asks for one, and then we’ll cut and sell a single FQ from any one of our bolts of fabrics. Each FQ is priced at 1/4 of the price on the bolt of fabric. Since we have to cut two to get one, we’ve started a small stock of “orphan” FQs and they’re all different prices depending on what the price of the bolt was when the first FQ was sold. Once in a while, we’ll order a FQ bundle or two and price them close to suggested retail, but we prefer to handle yardage.

We’re a small “Mom & Pop” shop with no employees to have to pay for cutting them, so that makes a difference in what we have to charge. Also, we’re off the beaten path far enough that we usually have time to cut FQs when asked, so we don’t see the need to have them precut. When a carload of quilters rolls in and starts packing bolts of fabric to the cutting table for FQs, they are usually ok with having to wait while it’s done. Plus, they get to watch them get cut. It’s kind of “FQs cut to order”.

I once cut a FQ from a bolt of canvas for a customer. She needed a small piece the size of a FQ for a project, so I cut it for her. We’ve cut 3” strips and other widths of fabric, including our $1/yard sale fabric, for customers several times. It’s just another thing that we can do to help the customer along with their project.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM

I seldom buy FQ's as most of ours are around $6/6.50 each. Cheaper to buy a metre of the material which is what I will do if I really like it.

Maybe1day
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Sad to say, but one of the reasons the FQs cost more is people steal them! Yes, it happens. One of my LQS kept away from them for quite a while because they "lost" so many of them when they first carried them. They eventually added them back, but they keep them right up front where they can watch them.

Pam (shaking her head sadly)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM

The only lqs I know of around here is at least that much, and most are more.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM

i know what you are talking about. we had our shop hop this week and the fabric is up over $10 and the fat quarters are $2.75 and $2.95....holy cow. need to buy 1/2 yard pieces....cheaper in the long run....
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
some shops insist that fq's should add up to more than the yardage price- because they are paying someone to cut them-(the convienience you pay for for not cutting them yourself)
i asked one time---well why doesn't it cost more if i have to cut a 1/4 yard for someone at the cutting table then?
boy the daggers that flashed! :)
and she took a breath and said- well fq's have to be folded a certain way too- it takes more time- - -
i learned to not ask many questions of the owner in this shop (i worked in for over a year:) )
i still wonder though---how you can go through and raise your prices 30% then post signs all over for a HUGE 20% OFF SALE!!!
some people are (business people) not quilters-and they are there to make money
but bottom line is- pre-cuts cost more than yardage because it costs someone to PRE-CUT and we pay for the convienience-it saves us time-not money
Unless they hired someone to just cut fat quarters all day, that doesn't wash. They hire employees to do various things throughout the day and they do not break it down to individual tasks. And the mark up of 30% and then have a sale for 20% is just plain dishonest. Old saying, buyer beware has never been more true!!! I would not give that shop any of my business and would let everyone I know what they are about.