Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandma's flower garden >

Grandma's flower garden

Grandma's flower garden

Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM

How do you bind the edges of the quilt? do you use bias binding as if binding a scallop edge?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Before you commit to a full quilt, you need to like the process of working the Gardens by hand. Plan your Centers, (one color? or varied?);
your Inner (first) Circle of 6 (solid? multicolor? random?); your Outer Circle of 12 (contrasting? solid or tone on tone? floral?). Experiment first.

Make up three or four gardens, and decide on your "Garden Path". At this point, either you like your work or you can drop it. I strongly advise making up a few Garden blocks at a time--NOT cutting thousands of hexagons before stitching.
Good advice. Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 AM

I am doing a yo-yo scrap quilt for my double bed with scraps from my sewing room and it is beautiful. About 1/3 of the way done and am loving it. It is my retirement gift to myself.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
How do you bind the edges of the quilt? do you use bias binding as if binding a scallop edge?
You can add half of the motif to the edges or cut off a whole flower to make a straight edge.
Or you can applique the extending flowers onto a solid fabric to make a straight edge.

I have also seen the outer edges matching the flowers. The person must have used the backing and trimmed it to match the flowers, turned in the rough edges of hand stitched them together.

Carol J.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kutnso
I started on my first GFG yesterday and quickly got tired of basting !!! So I sprayed starch in a small cover and wet all around the hex then prerssed---Voila---they held perfectly to sew them together. I found that you should match your thread, I used off white on red and the stitches showed a little, to me anyway.
Good luck, Kutnso
I don't remember where I found this method but it removes one step and it works for me. 1)Download a hexagon grid. 2) Lightly iron the grid to freezer paper. 3) Cut them apart. 4) Iron the freezer paper portion to the fabric. 5) Cut the fabric out allowing for the seam allowance. 6) Iron the seam allowance to the wrong side. 7) Overcast to join. No basting! I remove the pattern because the spray starch holds it in place. It's interesting to me how many different ways there are to do this simple pattern.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM

Scrap quilts are the best! They are my favorite because they have so much character...go for it!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

I am working on a GFG hand stitched that I've been working on for 2 years. This is the first quilt I've ever made, found the basic covering of paper pieces and stitching on Youtube. I had to idea what I was doing when I started, didn't have a plan, didn't have a pattern, no quilting buddy to giude me. I bought a whole bunch of fabric off eBay and craigslist, all different types, didn't know I should have used a good quality cotton fabric, I have all kinds of textures and types of fabric. I didn't make traditional flower patterns, I coordinated fabrics that matched in color and scattered the hex's around to form flowers. Like I said, I had no clue. There is a picture of my quilt somewhere here on the QB. I didn't find the QB and get really into learning until about 6-8 months ago. Now, since I've been here on the QB and have learned a wealth of tips, tricks, facts, techniques, etc etc etc. I had no clue I was supposed to be using hand quilting thread, yes, there is a difference, I learned so much from the many quilt knowledgable ladies here on the QB and thanks to a really nice lady at Joann's Fabrics. I took my quilt apart twice before I even come close to using the right supplies, I had over a dozen flowers stitched together with regular all purpose sewing machine type thread before I even knew about hand quilting thread. I took them all apart and restitched them. I didn't want to run into a problem later on with it falling apart. With all that said and done.....I am actually very proud of my quilt. I'm about 95% finished the top, then, I'm going to hand baste and hand quilt. So to answer your question....I think you can make a terrific quilt using scraps. I've learned here on the QB that I can make my quilt 'my own', which is exactly what I did. I can't wait until it's finished. I've already had 6 people offer to pay me, handsomely, for it and my older sister thinks she is getting it, lol......I'll keep it myself since it's my first. Good luck with your quilt, I KNOW first hand that you can make a terrific quilt..Good Luck! ! !
I'm not too good at maneuvering around the QB but if someone can find my GFG and post it here, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks !!!

I found my pictures, they were posted on July 17 but I don't know how to pull them to this post.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM

I found this picture of a GFG on-line. A little different from the traditional. What do you think? (hope the picture posts)

Guess the picture didn't post. Anyway, instead of the traditional hexagon, it has 3 green hexagons on top and bottom for a more triangle appearance instead of round.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Go for it! It will look great!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM

You never know until you try! I say go for it. Besides, sometimes the least likely projects work out the best and you never know what will happen once you account for the "serendipity factor!"

Good luck!