Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is there a market for handquilting >

is there a market for handquilting

is there a market for handquilting

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Just don't assume that because you don't have the money, or you neighbors don't have the money, or the news tells us how bad it is, that there isn't money out there. Many people will pay for quality and wait a year for a quilt to get done. I know one woman that is booked for 5 years or more ahead.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Tisha, try contacting some local and state quilter's guilds and let them know that you long arm and that you also hand quilt. I belong to a guild and I hear a lot of the women say they are sending theirs out to be quilted. One lady at our last meeting said that she has an amish lady do her quilting and I know that it is not cheap to have it done.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM

I have also found the market dead. I make beautiful table runners for $35 and no one even looks. I went to Macy's store and found they sell bed sets for $3-400. I found a napkin for $9, but I can't even sell my pillowcases I have made. The swap meets and craft markets here want stuff that sells for $5 or less. It's not worth my time, so I just make for my family.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi Tisha...you are so lucky you have the talent to do that kind of beautiful hand work......dont' give up looking....do you have a blog...post information everywhere....theres always something people are looking for and who knows someone may call you......put the information at your church,grocery stores everywhere......good luck and god bless...Trish
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM

is there a guild in your area? you might be able to post an ad in there newsletter.I would think there would be people who would be interested.Just have to notify the right ones
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 PM

I placed an ad in our "Nickel" ads a few years ago. When a lady asked what I would charge for hand quilting a full-sized quilt, I said it would be about $150 for very basic quilting. She told me she didn't think she was interested. I explained that it was very time consuming, especially for quality work, and that thread added to the cost. She replied that I wasn't asking enough, so she feared the work wouldn't be that great! You never know. I would place an ad on Craigslist and see what happens. Even if it takes awhile to build a reputation, it could be well worth it. Good luck to you!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Too bad I live in Canada or I would send you mine. There is one Church group in this area that hand quilts and I hear they are booked a year in advance. Don't give up please, you just need to be a bit patient. Next thing you know you won't be able to keep up with the orders. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM

no way, in south fl. I have been lucky to find quilters also friends who crochet can't sell, must be hand made is out of vogue . Wish you the best,as I like to hand quilt , even my family say what a waste of time.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM

I wish we had a guild I would ask them for sure.....Iam lucky we have a quilt store, Maryland doesnt have a lot of anything when it comes to quilting....Trish
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Just wondering if there is a market for handquilting? i am trying to find ways to make some extra money for my long arm....so many people around here know i quilt but they dont want to pay the money so therefore i wont make quilts for people here...so i thought maybe i could offer handquilting for others...is there a market? i quilt 8-10 stitches per inch but very consistent stitch length...or is this not good enough to quilt for others? i love the look of a handquilted quilt.
blessings
I know there is a market where I live depending on what you charge. Just have to get the word out and let people know what you charge. I know one lady has all the work she can do. She is in her late 80's and is still doing a great job. Too bad you don't live in Utah.