Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarter Ripe-off >

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Better add this to the controversial list someone started a few days. I don't intend for this to be interpreted as snarky, but if that happens, I offer my humblest apologies ahead of time.

I don't believe complaining to anybody is going to get anyone anywhere. A fat quarter of any fabric entitles you to half of a half yard (18"). The 18" part should always be consistent...the 22" part is going to vary depending on the width of the fabic from selvedge to selvedge. It's just a fact of life...WOF varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Not really any different than buying a yard of fabric and getting it home and finding it's 36" by 40", not 44". Now, knowing that, one can choose to inspect and measure every FQ they are interested in or accept the fact that the term "FQ" is not a hard, scientific measurement and just let it go.
Now, you may get somewhere with the crookedness...
Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 AM

At a Joanns in Tulsa Ok...the numbers on the end of the bult read 5.99 yard... So I asked for 2 yards. While cutting the employee said it was 2.99 a yard which excited me so I said I would take 6 yards.. Tickled I had gotten a great price for beautifu material... When I glanced at the ticket it was 12.99 a yard... Times 6 yards= $$ .. It upset me so, and this store was so crowded it took over 45 min for my number to come up... I was just going to leave the material after the employee told me the 5.99 was the number of yards on the bolt NOT the price.....I asked where the 12.99 was located at..... No responce.... At the check out my husband and friend with me asked to see manager... I was just going to let it all go... So tired of JoAnns rude employees and short cutting anyways!!!! My husband explained the situation.... The manager, maybe 20 yes old, got an attitude with my husband..... So my husband asked for the CEO number and said he was calling Corp. Office on rudness in the store.... Well, I wanted to just leave,and my husband did tell me I could go to the car if I wanted... And I did... LoL........ About 20 min later her comes my husband with my 6 yards and 4 more yards... Of this beautiful material....... At 2.99 a yard!!!!!!!!..... Now at 2.99 a yard.... I was tickled.... My husband said he has watched me for months thrift shopping, coupon shopping for materials and supplies. And me sewing till 2-3am.. To get 22 quilts made for all the grandkids for Christmas... He said he could tell I loved the material and he wanted me to have it at the price I was quoted...... What a great husband I have!!!!! I live 8 hours from that JoAnns so there won't be a problem with me never going back into the store...... Just wanted everyone to know......stand up to JoAnns rude employees...ps.... My husband stilled called Corp office.. And he rec a complete refund.. And 2 company coupons for 30% off total sale at anytime.. Including sale items...
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM

can't fix stupid....not even with duck tape!!! LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 AM

I get a real kick out of this topic. If the cut is one or two inches over, do you ask to see the manager? No, you take it and run and tell everyone about your gain. Cutting fabric is not an exact science--we have all had off-cuts when we are cutting our own strips or squares.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Love your husband. Mine sits through the endless comments I make about why things are the way there are with fabric and quilting. Thought he wasn't listening but he was. Still he questions and listens and forgives when I walk in with bags of fabric. He knows about color, yardage and fatquarters. I could send him off to fabric store with directions because the ladies at store like him and thinks he's funny. Just lucky I quess.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 AM

If you take the fabric and your complaint to the store, they will just tell you "sorry, that is the way they come to us, I can't do anything about it" Translation: you are just screwed. So, how do you get this fixed? It will take some time but I have good results in the past.

Write a letter to Joann Fabrics, Customer Service. Describe the situation just the way you did on the QB. Request a refund or replacement fabric, hopefully you still have a receipt or some kind of paperwork. And this is the important part: You address the letter to Joann Fabrics but you also CC: (1) your local Consumer Protection Agency; (2) the State Consumer Protection Agency (3) the Federal Consumer Protection Agency (4) the Better Business Bureau in your area, (5) the Consumer Fraud Department in your area and (6) any other agency that you think would freak-out the Joann Fabrics Customer Service Department. It will take a little research to gather the addresses or email addresses from the internet but I know from past experience that they will have to address your complaint. They do not want to be contacted by any of those agencies and have to tell them they are ignoring the situation. I know the dollar amount is not in the hundreds, but if they are shortchanging the consumer with fat quarters, what other items are they shortchanging the consumer with?? For me, it is the principle of the thing. You should be able to use all of what you pay for. Probably won't change much in the long run but it's worth a try. Good luck. Finally, that is why I shop almost exclusively at LQS for my fabric - they know how important an exact measure of fabric is.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
won't do any good to complain to the store. THey are not made at the store but overseas in a warehouse! Take pix and send them to the company HQ!
Politely tell them that you would like a refund and an explanation as to WHy they were crooked and shorter than a standard FQ! Be sure to tell them that this explanation will then be shared online with your social network of over 10,000 other quilter's and potential Joann shoppers!
Great answer - usually if they know others will learn about it they might correct problems.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by joycet
can't fix stupid....not even with duck tape!!! LOL

:thumbup:
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM

absolutely take them back, with a ruler and your explanation....they should either replace them, refund your money, or exchange for something else....and yes, let them know you are a forum with thousands of other quilters!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM

They might not make them there but they are buying them from someone who isn't trying very hard to be precise. I would go up the line to corp. Keep going until you get a response. We all are going to have to open our mouths and shut our wallets if we expect things to change.