C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Power Poster

DH uses one and it took him a while to get used to it too. I like the background noise - makes going to sleep easier. He feels so much better when he uses it. Just stick with it.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 PM

I use a BI-PAP. Same priciple except mine works on demand rather than constant. My apnea is similar to what preemies have. Are you using a mask? I use a amsk that only covers my nose. It takes some getting used to. Hang in there, each night will get easier and you won't beleive how much better you will feel.

will

all m

y
life but
wasn't
di++++++++++++++++++++gn nt
l
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
What a timely topic this was for me, a one week user of CPAP for the first time! Thank you for starting it.

I have the ResMed S9 Escape™ w/H5i™ Humidifier and I use the Swift FX For Her XS nasal pillow mask. In the Sleep Center I tried a couple different masks and wasn't really good with either. I received the Swift FX nasal pillow when I bought my machine in network locally and find it much more comfortable.
My machine rests on a bench right at bed height at the head of my bed where I can turn it off and on with a hand over my head.

Yes, I still have a some trouble with it....feel like I'm O2 deficient the first few minutes when putting it on; I think I need to adjust the pressure upward a tad, though the Tech said I was ordered for 9 (my chip will tell the Dr. that info in 3 more weeks); I feel like I have to keep adjusting the mask though I probably really don't have to make all these adjustments; I wake up when I feel like turning over and have to move/adjust the hose a few times which makes it harder to go back to sleep; sometimes the exhale and the air bother me; I don't yet really feel like it's doing what it's suppose to as I'm still sleepy when I get up, even after 8-9 hours.

But, interestingly, the Resp. Tech who sold and fitted the machine and mask for me, did tell me that since I've had this disorder for a long time (per Dr.), it probably would take my brain some time to catch up on the idea that help is on the way. She said I might not see the peppy, alert, well-rested affects for a few weeks as my brain learned something new.
Who knows, the idea seems to work to let me off the blame-myself-it-isn't-working treadmill.

Each night is better than the one before and I look forward to a peaceful, loving relationship with my CPAP any week now. Guess I should think of a name for her!

Jan in VA

Jan, this is exactly the machine and mask that I have.

Last night was a lot better. I cushioned the hose and put the machine on the floor and that made a big difference.

I never thought of naming mine :)
Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 AM

Put the unit on the floor - it has nowhere to fall. I have had so much success with my machine that I can't go to sleep without it.I have Resmed as well, set at 15 and the lag time before I go to sleep is only 10 minutes now, whereas before using it, I was lucky to get 2 hours sleep all night and stopped breathing 130 times a night according to the clinic. I haven't had apnoea since using it.
If you persevere, you will certainly reap the benefits.All the best.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 AM

I started out with a full face mask with mine. Didnt work. My mouth would open and I would drool and I couldnt stand that. Any, I have my unit on a night stand beside my bed. with the full face mask I would drapet the hose over the head board and it helped a lot. I do have a sleeve for it and that helps tremendously.

I now use a nasal one, though. Much better for me. My mouth stays closed and the hose is now draped on the side fo the bed. I was also and all time stomach sleeper. However, over the only 2 1/2 years of using it, I no longer stomach sleep. :( But I have adapted. I can not sleep with out it! It is like my drug at night, puts me right to sleep.

Keep at it. You will get use to it. And it will make you so much more healthier and feel better and refreshed when you wake up!

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
Thanks for the great replies, everyone!

I'm not giving up for good, but just wasn't willing to get up in the middle of the night to take everything apart and dry it out after the water went everywhere.

I was afraid that I had ruined it and wasn't looking forward to telling the home health company that I ruined it after one night! Luckily, everything worked once I dried it out.

Amandasgramma, thanks so much for the info about the water pillow. I'm a stomach sleeper too, so that's so good to know!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 AM

We Joke. I always say "Good night Darth (Vader of course)".
MK
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 AM

have had a cpap for over 16 yrs. I had no problem getting used to it. I guess I needed it so desperately that I had no issues. It has saved my life. B4 cpap they told me I could stand in a corner and get as much sleep!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 AM

I've used one for 12 years and still wake up to adjust it sometimes, but it is SOOOOO much better adn I am so much more rested than before
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Turned into a real zombie with mine, personality changes and all. Got to the point of not caring if the world continued to turn, or I with it. Tried, but couldn't take it. Finally had ENT assessment, and will have surgery next month to reduce size of turbinates, deviated nasal septum, soft pallet and curtain repair. It won't be as comfortable as the total knee replacement, but the long range prediction is promising.

Good luck with your process.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 AM

i like the noise that the cpap makes. its a white noise that puts me to sleep instantly. i keep the machine even with my face, on the nightstand. i tuck the hose under the pillow and it comes out just below the corner. but the new one, although cushioned, is hurting the bridge of my nose. i'm waiting for new one made of a woven silk-like fabric. it's called a weaver and its full faced. i breathe through my mouth sometimes because of allergies and because i broke my nose in a fall. because of a face injury my face is slightly off center (it gives me character) and i get noisy air leaks during the night that wake me up. i'm hoping the new mask takes care of all that.

i was told that if you have a humidifier, which i do, that the machine should be level with your head. was anyone else told that? i'm a side sleeper.