Where you live

Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM

I love east TN. We live in the foothills of the Smokies. The view from my screened porch is spectacular. We have been here almost 20 years, moved from Memphis and glad to leave it! We have the best of both worlds. We have a Motorhome, and travel north in the summer and south in the winter. One son is close by, DD and other DS a day's drive. Grandkids are grown and married and live in Atlanta, Huntsville, and Rockford, IL. I couldn't be close to all of them if I tried!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 AM

I love where I am each day. DH and I are full time RVers which means that home location changes frequently. Since leaving Key West in March, we have traveled to NC, PA, DC, RI, MA,NY, IN, OH, WI, MN, SD, WY (just left Yellowstone), ID, UT and we leave for Canyonlands and Grand C. tomorrow. Quilting Board, quilters I've befriended at RV rally's, and quilters I have become friends with in campgrounds have added greatly to my life.

What I love about it is that I am closer to family and especially to my 'baby' sister.

Originally Posted by scrappy2
Originally Posted by IraJane
Met my husband at Purdue in West Lafayette, In. Both of us were from different parts of the state, but we moved to the area where his grandparents lived in northeast In. in farm and lake country about 50 miles north of Ft. Wayne. He had such great memories of being here growing up. That was 40 yrs ago and now we live in the country in the woods in a log house that my husband and his father built in the 80's. Both of us are retired and we love being home. I live in the county with Shipshewana for those of you who know the fabric stores there. :)
Love shopping at Shipshewana :thumbup:
Me, too. My husband likes to go to the miscellaneous auction on the flea market grounds every Wed, so I go shop for what I need every week at the grocery stores and fabric stores. Just heaven on earth for quilters.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM

I moved back to the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales UK, after travelling and working all over the UK as a professional Chef. I now live in a single bedroom flat overlooking this wonderful place: http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/locations/Nature/LG/Dingle_Nature_Reserve.htm

In fact my quilting window looks right down to the river, where a pair of Herons nest.

It is in a block of Sheltered Housing flats so we have a Care Warden who knocks and says hello every morning and her hubby takes care of us and little DIY jobs. In the basement, accessible by a lift is where we dispose of our rubbish and recycling, without getting wet, and we even have a store place there, the size of a small garden shed.

From my balcony, kitchen and bathroom I have lovely views over to Snowdonia, this was last Winter:

Would I change where I live, NO not unless one of the 2 bedroom flats becomes available as then I could have a proper sewing/quilting room :thumbup:

Here is the link to view some more pics of my lovely home, if you are interested: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555148542FGlipY
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 AM

We have lived in our home 50 years are now decieding to move!! We can not take care of this place the way it should be. We will be sad but must turn that page for a new adventure. Age and mostly health is our problem. We live in western NY beautiful except for the winters,a place in Fl.but oh those hot summers.....What to do ...what to do!!!! Children in both places.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Yes I do enjoy living in Tomball, Texas. Have lived in area all my life (63 yrs.) Hadn't traveled all that much to know else where to live.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 AM

I grew up in Wheeling, WV and have lived in Indianapolis, IN for 48 years. Our children live 10 minutes and one hour away. We have always had good neighbors and great friends. The people here are very friendly and helpful. Shopping is close by and several LQS around the area. I belong to a quilt guild and my quilt bee takes lots of day trips to shows and shops. Indy has lots & lots to do so never bored (unless you are from NY, LA or Chicago where there will always be more!) We might like somewhere warmer in the winter and less humidity in the summer, but we like the change of seasons and would never live away from family.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

I have lived in Florida for over 20 years. It is not my first choice, but those places really do not exist anymore. For instance, I spent summers in southern Chautauqua county New York state) on a small lake with modest cottages on small lots. That has all changed since they built a ski area nearby.
I think you make do with what you have. We pay close attention to where we are and truly enjoy the change of seasons here. All you have to do is watch nature and the changes from season to season are quite evident. Being in
Central Florida now, we have both palms and hardwoods. The hardwoods do change color, just later and last longer. We have some lovely maples that are bright red in January and February. We are on the eastern flyway for bird migration so twice a year we have tons of warblers feeding in our bottle brush tree out front. We see robins in January and February, usually without a hint of color unless they stay longer because of weather. Stop, look and listen. It is a beautiful world. This past season there were hawks that nested in Washington Square in New York City.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM

I, too, love where I live and have no desire to live anywhere else, ever. I was born and raised in central CA. Met my sailor DH in San Diego and always knew we would head to his native upstate NY sooner or later. It ended up being much later, after living in TN, southern NY, CA, and 19 years in Ohio.
For whatever reason, the very first time he brought me up here to visit, I felt like I had come home and was engulfed by the warmest feeling of peace and contentment. I told him then that I wanted us to live here some day.
He was friends with the man who built our house, and we would come to visit when we were in NY from OH to visit DH's family. I loved this place, the land, and everything about it. I would just sit out in the yard while they visited and feel so calm and happy and peaceful.
When DH's health was going bad because of the stress from his job, we were here in NY visiting his family and took a drive. We knew the old gentleman had passed the year before and that his daughter was living here now so we were just driving by. But there was a for sale sign in the yard and the house was empty. So we got the number and called.
It was 5 years too soon on our life plan of retirement, but DH needed out of the ratrace he was in, and I had a good job. So we threw all caution to the winds and bought the house and the 24 acres of hardwood regrowth woods it sat on. Over the next 2 years, I worked and he commuted back and forth, moving things and getting the house ready for us. I came over for my days off (a 7 hr. drive) and holidays and such.
During that terrible time, I lost my sister and her husband, my brother and my mother. DH lost his mother, who was more like a mother to me than my own was. The only place I found peace was here on the new property.
To this day, all I have to do is look out the windows, or sit out on the swing or bench or steps.. breath in, and let the beauty and peace fill me.
If I have been away, it still happens like it did that first time I visited, when I get within a certain area, I know I am home again, and I am happy.
I don't know if I believe in previous lives but if I did, this would make me think I had lived here before and this is where I will always belong.