Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
22 carat car >

22 carat car

22 carat car

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Having spent time in India - couple of things came to mind.... They decorate all cars - part of the culture... It pleases the gods.

Gold is a type of status measure. Even when you go to the jewelry store, they sell the necklaces etc by weight. I overheard several conversations between Indian people where status was defined by amount of gold owned.

Much of the decorations in India are Persian based.. buildings, fabric and rugs etc... Beautiful.

While it may appear to be a waste to us, I'm sure there are many people there that are thinking it is lovely.

The problem of the poor in India wouldn't be solved by the $$ put into this car - and Tata - the manufacturer has extensive programs to train, educate and employ the underprivledged in India.
Thank you!!! I was hoping for an intelligent reply to all of the statements about this being a waste because of all of the poverty and starving children in India. There is poverty and starvation all over the world including the good old USA. Should we all give up our art--be it our quilting, painting, gardening or whatever it is that we spend money on to create something beautiful? While it isn't my cup of tea, I appreciate the art of it.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Having spent time in India - couple of things came to mind.... They decorate all cars - part of the culture... It pleases the gods.

Gold is a type of status measure. Even when you go to the jewelry store, they sell the necklaces etc by weight. I overheard several conversations between Indian people where status was defined by amount of gold owned.

Much of the decorations in India are Persian based.. buildings, fabric and rugs etc... Beautiful.

While it may appear to be a waste to us, I'm sure there are many people there that are thinking it is lovely.

The problem of the poor in India wouldn't be solved by the $$ put into this car - and Tata - the manufacturer has extensive programs to train, educate and employ the underprivledged in India.
Thank you!!! I was hoping for an intelligent reply to all of the statements about this being a waste because of all of the poverty and starving children in India. There is poverty and starvation all over the world including the good old USA. Should we all give up our art--be it our quilting, painting, gardening or whatever it is that we spend money on to create something beautiful? While it isn't my cup of tea, I appreciate the art of it.
Thank you Grambi and Kehoeta for your comments! Me, I kinda like the little thing. From a quilter's standpoint it is nicely designed--did you catch the peacock hood ornament? Gaudy would be this treatment on a Rolls Royce.... :-D

This car would certainly not be for driving around in (can you say car-jacking?) but could be parked in the solarium at home for display to admiring, envious friends. :mrgreen:

There were a lot of manhours (personhours?) invested in decorating this car, so a lot of people gained employment from that, along with the gold miners, smelters, jewelers, advertising staff, etc. I for one could send money to feed starving people instead of buying fabric, but I'm not going to let one exclude the other, as I'm feeding the soul as well. Mine, anyway!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM

A ridiculous waste of money...how many people could eat, have health insurance or medical care...?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
wow, that's a lot of money to sink into half of a car :)
I agree!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Oh, my! That"s exactly what I need to drive up and down my very dusty 1/2 mile long gravel driveway every day!! Whooppee!

Jan in VA
I think scooting around town in that would be a hoot - something like the little old lady from Pasadena!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:26 PM

The second picture came up first on my computer, so I really thougt it was a quilt, then the second picture came up and I thought what??????? wait a minute.....lol but it is still pretty to me as a quilt, in my view of it....
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Kas

He's just trying to keep up with the Saudi prince who's care is totally encrusted in diamonds.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Did you see the photos of the 22 carat gold car unveiled in India today? Looks like a variation of a quilt.
This is Gods way of telling you you have more money than taste or sense.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Isn't it funny how we relate alot of what we see to our quilts and quilting? Crazy expensive car!!