Tired of carping!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM

I am a new quilter and was at a LQS Friday and was trying to figure out what to do with a panel I had and wanted to make into a lap quilt for my sister to use at dialysis. One of the employees gave me some great feedback on what I should use for borders etc. Then the shop owner came out and joined the conversation and was so nice and asked me how big I wanted it to be and then proceeded to get out paper and pen and drew it out for me and helped me figure out how wide to make each border and how to the sizes to cut each to make it work out visually and numerically.

After that she asked my opinion about what would interest me in a beginning quilting class. Then she went into the back room and pulled out some sample sandwiches and handouts and showed me how to do the binding and cut and stitch it all. I am forever a customer of this shop.

The Quilt Room in Huffman, Tx www.thequiltroomhuffman.com
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM

I must admit, I did not know what "carping" meant. I do think alot of us are really stressed these days. There is really little we can do to improve how "things" are, except how "we" deal with those "things". I try to complimentary these days, to clerks that are polite and efficient. Speaking of Wal Mart....the other day my Mom needed a new battery for her watch. Having arrived in town early before a doctor's appointment, we had time to run by and pick up a few things she needed beforehand, along with a new battery.

When we arrived there was no one working the jewlery dept.
We went on to look for other items needed and found a really nice clerk along the way who helped us find what Mom was looking for. Then back to the jewlery dept. Still no one there. So I called the Store with my cell phone and asked if they could send someone to jewelry. Here comes this sweet clerk who had helped us earlier. Bless her heart she tried and tried to get the back off of that watch.
She just wouldn't give up. Our timeframe was getting short for the doctors visit, so I had Mom go ahead and pay out for her other items while I waited at jewelry. A couple of other customers came up and while she went off to help them,
I grabbed her tools and popped the back off the watch. I give her a big thumbs up though because she tried so hard!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM

It is gorgeous here in Kansas this weekend. We have wonderful gals who work at our closest JoAnns. Larry Ford, the Wallet Guy, makes great patterns and teaches really fun classes. Most of our LQS have AWESOME staff and teachers...and I had a nice nap on my porch swing!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Froggy, you have a right to complain if you want to. Sometimes it helps just to be able to vent to someone. I thought among friends everyone would understand. Lord knows at times we all have something like a burr under our saddle! So anytime you want to vent, just PM me and vent away...Love you all
Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM

YES!!!
I would like to send this to our new media and tell them how important it is to report the good news as well as the dire news. Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 PM

I am happy to have friends like you to remind me to keep it in perspective-we are truly gifted and blessed to be the creative people that we are !!!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by fwoolsey
YES!!!
I would like to send this to our new media and tell them how important it is to report the good news as well as the dire news. Thanks
I agree. I think if they started reporting the same facts in a more positive way (i.e., unemployment is at ONLY ...., the stock market was ONLY down __ points" things would improve. We brought fabric back to Walmart. Do you think we could all influence the media.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM

as in carpe diem?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM

I just lost my Daddy last Wednesday at the age of 86. He was a good husband for 66 years and a very good Daddy to me for 65 years. He heard me griping about the home health woman that had come in to draw his blood on his death bed and told me to be kind and not make anyone lose their job. I will remember that the rest of my life. I did follow her out to her car and tell her she was not going to come in and torture him any more. He is with our Lord that he loved so much
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad at a much younger age. We were very close and as the only daughter, I was some what spoiled. I miss him so much even though it has been 34 years. You will be in my prayers,