Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM

maybe she has stolen in the past and they are giving her a second chance?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM

i am a former employee of joanns worked there for 2 yrs ad yes they do check and for the various reasons that have been stated bothered me a little at first but i understood and accepted it after a short time. it is policy and since i still talk to the girls that work there i can tell you that although when i was working there no great hiest happened when i left 5 cricket expressions were stolen at once the cost of each of those machines at that time was 499.00 so the loss was substancial
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Yes. It is company policy that the manager on duty must inspect any items an employee is carrying out of the store, especially after each shift. Another policy requires an employee to only check out a purchase with a manager and immediately take the purchased items to their vehicle if they are shopping during their breaks or lunchtime. And employees are not allowed to shop while on duty.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I worked many years in retail both at high end and variety stores and it was the policy at all stores to check an employee's purse, lunch bag, etc. I was never offended and somewhat relieved that I couldn't be accused of stealing. I will never forget when a women was caught shoplifting. I had to go to the office with the male manager to witness the event for security reasons. It was so unnerving.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
The Joann's does that here too! I used to work for them, but had to leave due to foot problems..It was fun back 2 yrs ago, but someone new took over and boy, it's like being in a prison, so to speak! The randomly do check purses or bags. THERE IS NOTHING posted about this, so it IS an infringement of privacy! Legally you can say NO, and leave. Our store is a big store, and since early this year, at any one time you can go in there and there's only TWO clerks!!! This past weekend was a BIG sale, the store was packed, TWO clerks!! and the 'floor mgr' was piddlin' around in the back. Therefore, I don't frequent their store often... I know if that's the only fabric store available, you may not have a choice...

Jean
Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
I commented to the Joann's employee that checked me out at the register (and unfolded and shook every cut of fabric I had) that she made me feel like a thief. She responded that she gets her purse checked too. Tough times we live in.
Weird, I don't remember having my fabric checked at the JoAnns in the neighboring town. Maybe it only happens at stores where theft seems to be a problem, or some managers just don't think it is needed.
I wouldn't mind them checking, but shaking things out; what did they think someone is trying to steal a pak of needles? Unfolding should have be sufficient.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Yes, it is a sad situation but as the Store Manager, I even had to check my District Manager's computer case and Vice President's as well. The lack of trust is unbelievable.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM

One of those sad facts of life nowadays. Businesses have to protect their interests and that is one of the things that makes loyal, hard-working employees very upset, but facts are facts and they can't alwyas tell whose purse just might contain some contraband, so everyone has to be searched.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM

I worked at Bath & Body Works last holiday season. I was insulted when they asked to search my purse. I carry a big purse full of "important stuff" (chapstick, checkbook, advil, brush, sunglasses,etc..)
They did explain that most of their theft was from employees. I am honest---guess not everyone is. It was a great place to work--fun!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM

reminds me of a joke

There’s a story about a security guard at a Russian factory. One day this guard stopped a worker who was walking out of the factory gates pushing a wheelbarrow with a suspicious looking package in it. The guard opened the package up and found it contained nothing but some old bits of rubbish, sawdust and floor-sweepings.

The next day he stopped the same worker who was again pushing a wheelbarrow containing a suspicious looking package. Once more it contained nothing of value.

The same thing happened many days on the trot, until the guard finally said, "OK, I give up. I know you are up to something, but I just can’t tell what. Please, I promise not to arrest you, but put me out of my misery - tell me what you are stealing."

"Wheelbarrows," smiled the worker, "I’m stealing wheelbarrows."