Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Only my spoiled rotten SIL.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Im sad that no one in my family wants to learn to quilt.
A couple like quilts but only one uses them.
At least there are lots of charities to give them to.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Sometimes people are so wrapped up in the newer styles that they forget that quilts are a basic and the older generation like my GGM never had anything but quilts on her beds. These are memories that carry on through stories.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 AM

My quilt group makes lap quilts and donates them to a local hospice organization. They are very much appreciated and loved! Please don't be discourged; there are lots of folks out there who would love to have your quilts!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
I've only been into quilting for 3 1/2 yrs. When my Mom and sister found out...the first thing they told me was NOT to make anything for them! One Christmas I got brave. I made one for my sister that was very, very simple. All I did was buy fleece remnants, cut into 5" squares, and sewed them all back togther. I tied it because I didn't know what else to do. It had a flannel backing. She absolutely loved it!!! After a couple of months I was showing off another more involved top. She made sure she wasn't going to receive it... Months later, I made a modified log cabin quilt. Took it to Mom's and put it on her bed. Weeks later, my brother called asked if I could make him one just like it. So I grabbed another quilt I had finished. Cat blocks. Went to Mom's bed again, gave the first one to my brother and gave Mom the newer one. But I've been told "No more". I have made a dozen since. I promised my other brother he could have my very favorite for Christmas coming. Other than that...I keep making them and no one wants them. I find I love them so much when they are done, I just want to keep them anyway. Mom took hers off the bed because she wanted to save it. I put it back on the bed. The sad news is that now her mind is rapidly failing and she isn't even aware it is folded on the chair beside her bed. Hasn't a clue to use it. I usually just read all your posts. Have only commented a couple of times. But I so look forward to reading all the wonderful things you all have to say to each other . Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment. Ha ha ha
Make quilts, embroider pillow cases and dishtowels, put up Christmas decorations, etc., because it gives you joy. Of course, you would like to give someone else joy also because that also makes you happy, but never let other people's lack of enthusiasm spoil your own. Cherish those quilts for yourself--use them yourself! froggyintexas
Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 AM

Well, the first quilt I made nobody wanted...even me! But the dog decided she liked it to play tug of war with! The rest, fortunately, have been wanted and loved.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM

try shelters..my favorite is Quilts for Kids, Inc. I would never turn down a quilt that some one made for me...I also have several. My daughter says not to make any more for her or my DGC because they have enough. So I just make them and give them to some one that would enjoy them.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Sounds to me like they don't want them but they love them when they get them. I often hesitate to do quilts as gifts but any I have given have always been well received. So this year sisters & brothers are getting quilts for Christmas like it or not. LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Oh you poor thing....I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't love to have a homemade quilt. But then again, to each his own. Keep your quilts, love them as they should be loved or donate them to the different organizations who ask for them. There is a need out there right now.....Quilts for Vermont Flood Victims (request located in the Free Offers and Donations of the QB). {{{HUGS}}}
Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Oh, my, most people around my area would LOVE to get a quilt of any kind..or quilted purse. I can't imagine folks getting them and not appreciating them. Like they say, there are so many places who would LOVE quilts, take them to the children in the hospitals, or Ronald McDonals House, or any where they'll be appreciated. Would love to see some of your quilts. I probably missed them before if you posted some time ago.