Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Counting change >

Counting change

Counting change

Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

What is this world coming to? I'm convinced that, "ONE DAY", all of this so called 'modern technology' is going to just blow up and the whole world is going to go completely crazy. Pretty soon, your kids won't ever need to take a pencil and paper to school, everything will be done on the computer......so sad! ! !
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM

It's sad that in todays world things have to be so "fast"...quick response...quick everything! Counting change seems to be a lost art. I actually had a clerk count change back to me in what I call the "correct" way...he counted from the amount of the sale to the amount I gave him! I was stunned! But here's another thing that gets my goat ... I was buying a computer program (expensive to say the least) & the clerk scanned the container it was stored in...price came up to $10,999.99. She didn't look at the price..just said to swipe my card. My reply was "I don't think so!" She scanned the wrong bar code and her monitor was telling her not to scan that bar code. She didn't check anything. Her excuse was that it was her day off and was called in. Why is it that excuses have to be made? Whether it's counting change or just doing your job? Well, I guess I've said enough! Except, I really love spending time on this board! You are all so wonderful! Thanks for being here with me!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 AM
j

What about clocks if they aren't digital, they don't know how to tell time. -- J
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM

This drives me crazy it happened this past Saturday in JoAnn's I ran in to pick up something I needed in a hurry. My bill was $11.10 I gave her $20.10 and then I saw I did have a one so I said or here left he give you the one also. It took 5 minutes plus the manager to come over I said all I need is a $10.00 bill back? The sad thing the manager was just about a stupid! Drives me crazy also.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Can't go knocking "all" the youngsters -

Many of them are taking Advanced Placement classes and are way ahead of the game.

"Some" are very math/arithmetic deficient. So are some "adults"

Maybe some of the responsibility for what kids are taught should be placed on the school boards and who controls the school boards?
Wrong attribution of responsibility. The fault lies with state and federal policy that has created a multi-billion dollar a year testing industry. Teachers do not have time to teach anything that is not on the test and in any case might not dare do so. The buzz word is "accountability." One administrator told a group of fourth-grade teachers that she resents teachers who teach anything but what is "on the test." I taught high school seniors government and economics and once spent an entire school day--count the cost of all the substitutes and the cost of the consultant--"learning" how to help students "beat" the test. When is the public going to wake up? The tests are killing education! froggyintexas
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM

I hear what your saying. At the fabric shop that I work at I believe that I am the only one whom counts back the old fashion way. Many customers do acknolwedge that in one way or another. It is a shame that isn't taught today.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I used to work as a cashier, both in a grocery store and called Grants. The grocery store we had what I would call bang boxes. You know with rows of numbers, you push down the keys, then have to hit another key to register. Now there was also a tax key and we had to know what was taxed and what wasn't, but, we also had to know, how to count change.
Today's registers, tell what change is after submitting what was given to the teller and some even disburse the change.
We never had calculators in class..I suppose progression with the times allows this now.
What I don't like is when grocery shopping something is on sale. They scan the regular price, then followed on the next line amount for sale..with sale price. When the total runs it takes all savings at once. Hard sometimes to figure it.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM

yep...even at the dentist's office...to make a simple calculation, the girl needed a calculator!
Kids don't learn by using a calculator...they need to learn the process.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM

When my kids were younger and playing in Little League, the parents had to take a turn working in the "Snack Shack" on Saturdays. My husband and I always enjoyed it because it was an oppurtunity to work with all the kids. I can't tell you how many kids we taught to make change over the years. Make change for the first dollar first and the rest is easy. I was always surprised that these kids weren't taught how to do this in school like we were. It's funny now that when clerks have a computer to tell them how much change to return and they still get it wrong. Maybe we just need to go back to the old Cash Box! LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Telling time, making change, and Math aren't the only things that children aren't taught any more. Our grandchildren live in Phoenix, Az and aren't taught to write cursive. They figure if they can print and use the computer they won't have to write in cursive. If you write them a letter in cursive handwriting they struggle for hours to try and read it. They are allowed to use their calculators on their math homework and on their math tests. I guess the theory is that they still have to know the process in order to get the right answer but the closest thing to a calculator we ever got to use was a slide rule and that was only on the test on how to use a slide rule.
I went to nursing school when I was 40. I had to take a placement test in order to register. The instructor was astounded that after being out of school for over 20+ years that I could score a 97% on the math test. She said they have current HS graduates that can't pass the entry test in math and they have to refuse them entry into the nursing program. On our math tests in nursing if you missed 1 question you flunked the test and would have to take the whole thing over. Why? Would you want to be the one who got the wrong dosage of medication? Ann in TN