Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM

I've never noticed it in our Joann's, but in the same vane I was wondering if Walmart goes with bring your own bags I have to wonder if that will not invite more people helping themselves. Really is a shame.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I did not read the entire thread, so if I am repeating, sorry BUT...
I have known people who were required to carry ALL personal belongings into the store they worked at in a Clear vinyl purse or backback. While I understand that this can seem invasive, I also have to open up my purse at any sporting event I go to or at the airport.
I have worked retail, and even in today news they show people on the cameras stealing all the time. Since it is us who do not steal that eventually have to pay higher prices to cover for the theft, I do not think it is wrong. Afterall, if you have nothing to hide, then you should not mind...

Susan
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
I have a friend who worked at Joanns. She would not take a purse in the store. It is their policy to check all employee purses when they leave the store.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I worked at McDonnell Douglas in the Space Center and the guards would look in purses and such as we came in and out. I noticed that in JAF, they have locked up the rotary cutter and Omni rulers so that you have to go fetch someone to assist you and they take it up to the register. Didn't realize it was getting that bad. REMEMBER, a Hedge fund corporation bought the company so they don't do ANYTHING without making a nice profit !!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM

I am wondering if they still use the same application for employment that they used in the 80's when I was looking for a job. It asked if you had ever stolen an item, what was it. how old were you. and on like that. I was very intimidated and After working for a mortgage company and in the banking arena for 25 years. The recession at that time had hit my job as it has at this time. Anyway I didn't get the job, and ended up with a much better one. I can see that Joann's is checking purses.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Those see thru purses have to be taken to jails or prisons when visiting. MMMM
Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM

I worked for Joann's and yes every time you left your purse was checked, also while you are waiting up front to go home at closing time, they are in the back going through your smock pockets while you wait to be let out of the store to go home and you are OFF the clock, all it took for me was one night I waited 20 minutes OFF the clock to go home and they were in the back going through every ones smock pockets and their lockers. Off the clock, that is all it took for me, I don't know about you all but when I get off work I am tired and want to go home and NOT spend 20 minutes of MY time waiting for them to find something to fire someone over.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM

I didn't have a problem with them checking my purse, I never had anything to hide, what I did have a problem with was being held at the front door to go home up to 20 min, and this happened every night anywhere from 10 to 20 min we had to wait as Everyone had to leave at the same time.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM

My daughter has had that policy at some retail clothing stores she has worked at sad isn't it.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM

When I worked retail, I had to carry a clear zippered cosmetic case for any belongings I wanted to take onto the floor during my shift. It was checked before and after for any contraband.