Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Markers -  Need tried and true >

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 AM

I use the pigma pens for labeling, and the ultimate pencil for marking and it always washes out or the new Fons and Porter marking pens are also great. They come in silver and white.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 AM

I just finished a cross hatch and I used 2" blue painters tape. Works great and if you are careful, you can use the same piece more than once. I did corner to corner first and then horizontal rows next. It made nice diamonds.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 AM

A good way to quilt cross-hatch is to use masking tape and quilt along the side of it--to markings to try to get off.

Pigma pens are permanent and I have not had them to run.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 AM

I think I'll stick to my Sewline Pens. Different colored refills are available. I know this works!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.
I used this as well!!! It's amazing, I marked my quliting design on the front of my DWR & it pressed out completely when I finished. I love it!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
I buy the purple disappearing ink pens. Fades off or just spritz. Some have a finer point for marking now.
Me too, of course here in Fla it means if its hot and humid you have less than 24 hours before the marks start fading. :-D
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.
I just recently "discovered" the Frixion pen. I LOVE it!!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM

How do you use the painters tape, please. Have never heard of doing this
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

You may or may not remember the situation back in the 90's when the disappearing purple or blue marking pin came on the market. The instructions said to just wait 24 hrs and the marks will disappear, and even with the wash out blue or purple pen.....instructions said to wipe it with a wet cloth or spritz it......
Well...the lines disappeared but came back brouwn if the quilt was exposed to sunlight.....The one that disappeared with wiping with wet cloth or sprizting.......the color went into the batting and came back later as brown lines.
Remember the chemical in any of these "disappearing" pens is still in the fabric even if you can't see it. So Beware of the possible results.
The Fixon pens sound great. Have you read the other post about Warning about these pens.
One might need to change their attitude about a final washing of the quilt when using these products to avoid problems in the future.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I think I'll stick to my Sewline Pens. Different colored refills are available. I know this works!
I heard about these and just bought one with the white marker. Very pleased with the results. Marks well on dark fabric and comes off completely with a damp cloth. I even spritzed it and it disappears. then iron the piece dry.

Highly recommend this item. It also has an eraser which works well too but I don't know yet how much the eraser refills cost.