Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Use a Pounce to Mark Tops?? >

Anyone Use a Pounce to Mark Tops??

Anyone Use a Pounce to Mark Tops??

Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM

I love my pounce!! I lap quilt with a hoop & do a small section at a time. I have to put a book or something hard under to mark. Thats a little irksome but all in all I love it. Have only used the white so far.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 AM

I have mixed feelings about mine. I use the white iron off powder and it does iron off very nicely, but I find it only shows up on really dark fabric. And you use quite a bit of the powder for each quilt. The swiping part can really mess up a stencil, especially an intricate one with small points etc.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 AM

I find that most of my quilts are not dark, dark, so the chalk is hard to see. I think I am going to try the pilot pens mentioned here. I too hate marking my quilts, but when I do, I am pleased with the end result.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 AM

I have not used a pounce but I am going to San Diego on Saturday for a week. If I can only go to 1 Quilt store which one should it be? Thanks LindaZ
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Been there,done that ,and I hate that darn thing. I get powder all over the place . Just a mess.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/pounce.htm there is a video on u tube on using the pounce pad. Here it is
I enjoyed the video. Thank you. It made me realize that I will probably need a Pounce kit when I finally get around to making a Pickle Dish quilt. I have 2 Pickle Dish stencils that are very "busy", so I'll be wanting a Pounce when I finally get around to doing that quilt, but have to decide if I want the wash-out or the iron-out version.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by jljack
I have tried and tried to make mine work, to no avail!!! They make it look so easy at the shows, but I cannot make it work.
Neither can I or my friend who also bought it. I've packaged mine up and will be adding it to my Guild's Stash closet. Maybe one of the other members has a use for it.
A quilting friend stopped by and she likes it so I gave it to here.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by pahappel
You may laugh, but I have successfully used kids wash out markers by Crayola to mark quilts. Washes out with no trouble. I do test my fabric first. They have a little heavier line than the blue/purple markers so easier to see
Are these actually crayons or are they markers? This is a very interesting concept that I would like to try. I've always had trouble seeing my markings especially on quilts with busily patterned fabrics like the one I am now quilting. However, the backing of the quilt is muslin, and so I am quilting on the backside of the quilt just so I can see my markings. I am using a Sewline Ceramic pen in turquoise.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Barb C.
I have recently gone on a shop hop. In one store they
demo-ed a pen. As they wrote on the fabric, it just looked like a pen. To erase the marks you just iron them and they disappear. They told us that the pen is heat sensitive, so it shouldn't be left laying where it is hot, or in the sun.
Haven't tried it yet, but am looking forward to using it.
The pen is made by Pilot. Name on it is FRI X ION. Cost was $2.95.
I've used the Pilot Frixion pen successfully to mark quilts for quilting. I got them in OfficeMax for about $1.50 each. As you said, the ink marks disappear when ironed (or washed and dried). There is one caveat...if the quilt should get chilled (such as leaving in a car outside in the winter), the marks can reappear; but they will disappear when re-ironed.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM

I have it and love it.! Only a couple of things I do. Iron the quilt first then spray with hairspray it will hold the chalk on your quilt till you get to it. Never Iron the chalk unless it says its ok as you will set it your quilt. I know that someone else said it but will say it again you rub not pounce! Hope this helps.