Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY Bernina Died!!!!!! >

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Debs thanks for asking this question. I have no backup at all. My Janome has served me well with no problems at all but have thought for a long time it would be nice to have a emergency machine. All the responses have really helped me frame the options.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM

I love my OLD BERNINA 830. I purchased it used about 30 years ago and it is still going. I would see about purchasing a used machine from your Bernina dealer, I wouldn't waste money on a CHEAP machine. Once you've had a BERNINA you won't want anything else. I don't think I sew as much as most of you quilters but I have made about 15 double and queen sized levi/denim quilts in the last few years and my machine is still humming along. No problems....
Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Buy a Janome Gold for $200.00 and you won't be sorry.
Not a lot of stitches but sews beautifully and very light weight.
The J Platinum is nice as well with more stitches but a little more money.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
Well, I have one of the cheaper Wal-Mart Brothers (under $150). I sewed with it for 4-5 years. Yes, it sews ok, but I was always way off in my seams and never could seem to sew one straight. I blamed it all on me. Then a couple of years ago I got a new Janome 1600P for Christmas. WOW! What a difference! Also to mention that now my Brother will not load a bobbin. Something slipping in there and I don't know how to fix it. The tech who services my better machine says that Brother will not even give them information on these machines and he cannot get parts.

If I were without my Janome, I'd use my old Kenmore or my FW until I could replace it. Would not buy the low-end machines.
You Janome will run for years and years. I love my 2. One for home and one for classes and retreats. Of course, they both get used at home too.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Use your Kenmore. I was told it was the best machine ever made and I can honestly say my girl sewed thousands of miles before I retired her. Still my favorite machine of all time.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Check Craigslist for a cheap newer model. It never hurts to have a spare for these situations.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM

You need a back up sewing machine! My 4 year old Pfaff, it's motherboard went out and the repair guy had to send for the part from China. Four months of waiting!?!?! If I didn't have my back-up machine I would have gone off the deep-end. My backup machine is my old Bernina 830. She is over 36 years old and still runing, and running and running and probably has a million miles on her. These so-called high tech machines aren't what they are cracked up to be.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM

If you decide to go with option C, make credit for the leather foot part of the bargain since you just bought it.

If you decide to buy a 'smaller' machine, make sure it has everything you need for quilting. I would not recommend giving up the 'fancy stitches' if you love them and it sounds like if you're buying a leather foot you need a heavy duty machine so I'd still consider either repairing your Bernina or getting a comparable machine.

Just MHO
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Suz

I haven't read this entire thread, but would suggest asking for a loaner until your parts/cable arrive. If you like the loaner which obviously will be used, perhaps you will trade up.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by unclefreckles
I would NEVER by a cheap machine from Walmart even though it says Brothers. Go to a reputable Brothers dealer and talk to them. They do have less expensive machines that have many fancy stitches and sew very well. I agree that they are not an equal to your old Bernina or to one of the top of the line Brothers, but they do a decent job.
The ones at WalMart are not really a Brothers machine. I think they are farmed out.
I own 3 Brothers! One for everyday, One on my frame for quilting and the other is my serger. Brother customer service is great! They will tell you they make a model that is comparable to their models on the higher end just for wal-mart. I think people like what they like. Some of my family thinks I am crazy cause I put a QBOT on my brother they think I should have bought a new machine but why it works perfect! So if you have one that you can use or if the shop will lend you one I would go that way. Save your money for fabric and fixing your baby. Good Luck