Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you save your selvages? >

Do you save your selvages?

Do you save your selvages?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Two or three years ago I read a library book about using selvages. I made a "tree of life" patterned quilt and hung it is my sewing room. It is fun to look at it and remember to whom a certain fabric belonged, etc. If I tire of this, I will yank it from the wall and cuddle up with my husband and cat in front of a nice fire this winter! I think the name of the book was "From the Selvage Edge".
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM

I save and use my selvages. I have made 2 pillows and 1 quilt top. I have enough to make a few aprons or bags. My sister also saves her selvages for me. I make a few squares up when I am in between projects or need a mindless project to keep my fingers busy. Waste not want not.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i don't have that many, but i do use some to tie a folded quilt when i give it as a gift.
I use them to tie fabric bundles.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM

From Diana G. -- "Quilts From the Selvage Edge" by Karen Griska was the book I used. A vest is my next project.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM

yes,I save the ones that are at least the size of a fat quarter,and I really like the fabric. It comes in handy.
I have a limit and it must fix in my left over tub. I can
really pack it down but not over.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kutnso
I've been cutting mine 1/2 inch above the sevedge. I think one would need something for a seam allowance!!??
Happy cutting, Kutnso
When I started with selvages I used a straight stitch, but have since changed to using a zig zag stitch. Especially the narrower pieces seem to be much easier with that type of stitch.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM

I save selvedges,thread snippets, batting and fabric scraps, and yarn leftovers for a woman who makes pads and pillows for the local Humane Society. Reduce, reuse, recycle!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra
To those who sew things with salvage pieces:
How much "color" do you leave on sevages you save????

I throw away very small pieces, but have always saved longer ones. I use them to try out designs, and for trying out fabric paint (do I have the color right). Since I've begun quilting I use savage edges as "ribbon" for packages. Also, tie up sleeping bags and quilts that are stored on the top shelf of the closet. I've never cut a inch or two of fabric with the selvage. Maybe from now on I'll measure from the less-salvage side when I cut fabric, if I don't need every inch. That way I may leave some fabric with the larger salvage.

I like the products made with salvage. The best in recycling!!!!!
To me it seems best to vary the amount of color showing. If I get too much occasionally, then it kind of overwhelms the look for me.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM

I save them for a lady in Florida
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 AM

hey, don't throw the selvages away...they make great quilts...I just made one...you do have to cut about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge of the selvage if you are going to use them...I had quilters saving just the decorated edge( the selvage with a name, numbers, circles that are colored) for almost a year...A gal wrote a book on "how to use selvages".....sorry, I am traveling so don't have her name or that of the book...go google Quilts made from selvages.....I bet it will come up...