Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY Bernina Died!!!!!! >

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM

I had a choice to make, either get a lighter machine or stop attending classes and the sewing group on Monday's. I decided to try Brother's machine which cost less than $200.00. It has worked well for me - no problems - Because it's light weight, I never planned on quilting with it so I never experienced it moving all over the place. If it did I'd just use rubbermaid shelf liner under it. I can manage the 13 lb. machine along with my wheeled carrier - a lot lighter than my 35 lb machine.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM

I love Berninas and I have three of them. I have lots of other brands too(Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff,several vintage machines), but Bernina is my fav. Well worth whatever it costs to fix it...or trade in on a new Bernina. I bought a Brother SQ on clearance from Walmart to take for stitch camp, or to fix something on the road. It has about sixty stitches, comes with a a 1/4 inch foot, walking foot and clear sewing table...it is ok, sews well, but it feels like a toy to me. It is ok for traveling or as a backup, but I wouldnt want to sew on it constantly.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Go to Craigslist.com for your area. Lots of machines on there at really reasonable prices. Check it out. Some are really nice MACHINES CHEEP...... Even nice FW's You have to type in the words sewing machines. I've bought several high dollar machines CHEEP
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM

I have to concur with the others. Use your Kenmore and get your Bernina fixed.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 AM

I wish I could say I'd NEVER buy a cheaper machine - but 1. I cannot - due to finances, and 2. I never know my future circumstances to say what I'd NEVER do. I have a WalMart Brother that I purchased because the one I'd had before lasted a good long time - are they perhaps throw aways? - yes, but when one does not have tons of money to spend they sure come in handy. They have both helped me earn enough money that I could quit my job and stay home with my children. Not a living, but enough... If I had to choose between using an older machine and buying a new one while waiting to have a really good one repaired - I'd use the old one.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM

I have an old Kenmore that is a work horse, and I have a FW that I do all my pieceing on. I do not like the newer electronic machines, they do not work well with me, I always seem to have a problem. I am looking for a treadle machine. If I were you I'd use the Kenmore to get my projects done and maybe later trade in the Bernia.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by winterfun
Originally Posted by unclefreckles
I would NEVER by a cheap machine from Walmart even though it says Brothers. Go to a reputable Brothers dealer and talk to them. They do have less expensive machines that have many fancy stitches and sew very well. I agree that they are not an equal to your old Bernina or to one of the top of the line Brothers, but they do a decent job.
The ones at WalMart are not really a Brothers machine. I think they are farmed out.
I own 3 Brothers! One for everyday, One on my frame for quilting and the other is my serger. Brother customer service is great! They will tell you they make a model that is comparable to their models on the higher end just for wal-mart. I think people like what they like. Some of my family thinks I am crazy cause I put a QBOT on my brother they think I should have bought a new machine but why it works perfect! So if you have one that you can use or if the shop will lend you one I would go that way. Save your money for fabric and fixing your baby. Good Luck
Scuse my ignorance but what is a QBOT?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM

I have one last thought about the sewing machines....seems most of you own a Bernina......I can not afford one and years ago Kenmore,Singer and Brother were the only ones available in my era anyways.....I dont have anything against Bernina but why do they have to be so dang expensive?
It costs enough for fabric and the things that go along with sewing....Ive been to our quilt shop here and the shop sells only Bernina Ive tested them and sat there and sewed on them...and yes they have a lot of nice features...but there is no way Iam going to spend $2,000.00 or $3,000.00 on a sewing machine just like Huquavana I recently found out that Singer is just a cheaper modle then Husquavana that they have merged and Singer is HUSQUAVANA so who cares what the sewing machine brand is...if it sews and does what you want and like then so be it....just my two cents...Trish
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM

No one said it had to be...she asked opinions and people are just giving theirs :(
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Sorry Margie...I didnt mean to upset anyone.....Trish