Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Disappointed in whole-cloth quilt... >

Disappointed in whole-cloth quilt...

Disappointed in whole-cloth quilt...

Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 AM

I can understand how you feel, as I love to see the stitching in my quilts too. But you must admit, your white whole cloth adds such an elegant touch to your room. And I love the backing too. You could turn it over, add a few solid pillows to the bed, and have a completely different look. Hang in there...and know that many of us think you did a fabulous job!!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 AM

You've created an heirloom that will be cherished for years to come. You should be very proud. If you're just not seeing enough color, place another quilt at the bottom of the bed, like a runner, and put some matching decorative shams at the top.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 AM

I See the quilting and I adore the backing. Perhaps because there are those two light colored end tables and light walls,etc. I bet if it were hanging on a colored wall or in a darker bedroom, it would REALLY pop!~ I think it's beautiful! I am so envious... I'd LOVE to make one of these, but know I probably will never. GREAT WORK!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Wonder how it would have turned out if you'd used black thread to quilt it? Still beautiful quilt.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Loretta: I can understand your emotions. One thing I've noticed about hand quilting (but I've done only small items), is that I need to give the thread an extra little tug sometimes, to help with the definition of the stitches. Sometimes I'm concentrating so hard on spacing, etc., that I forget to get the thread tight, so it just lays on the surface.

I did one small wholecloth, and I missed the blue when it washed away also! But I got used to it after awhile.

You did an amazing job!

Leslie

Originally Posted by aorlflood
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and suggestions.

I think I either need to put it away for a while or use it and let it "grow" on me.

For now, I have refolded it, right side OUT this time, and have it hanging on the quilt rack.

It is in a place where I will see it every day and I'll see how I feel after seeing it on the quilt rack.

I used an Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. I wish I would have used a loftier batting...maybe that would have helped set out the quilting more.

I'm surprised you can see the quilting in the picture. Even in person, I can't make out the medallion, which was so beautiful. I can see the braids on the sides and I do like them. :)

When I first started quilting this and blogged about it, my daughter saw it and laid "dibs" to it when I die! LOL So I know where I can send it if it never grows on me! LOL

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

What's funny is years ago I heard the same complaint from someone that had done a pre-printed whole-cloth quilt...she said she missed the blue lines after it was washed. I didn't understand at the time...but I do now! :)

Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
GG

I love it and can very much see the quilting. don't be so hard on your self. I still have that on my bucket list to do/
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Don't short change yourself. It's a beautiful job. We can see part of the quilting in the picture. The true love of the project is in the journey to completion.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

You should be soooo proud of this quilt, the work on it is phenominal!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM

I think you did a fantastic job on it. I love it and like many others, I think it would look just great on my bed. :)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Okay, WAY too hard on yourself! It IS BEAUTIFUL! I too, am my own worst critic and a lot of projects went that way for me but if you walk away from it and come back to it, it's the labor of love in the process that comes back at you. The fact is, most projects aren't "Perfect," to the person who made it because you know all the," here's," and, "there's," that no one else even notices. Be proud you accomplished such a goal! YOU DID IT!!!!