Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just don't want to do it! >

I just don't want to do it!

I just don't want to do it!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM

I feel for ya!! Sort of in that same boat myself - a friend at work is paying me a nice amount of money to make a memory photo lap quilt for her 5 yr old grandson. But she gave me terrible pictures - not much color in them, just very bland. Then the colors she wants in it are lt blue, dk blue, brown, tan, yellow, camouflage and a touch of red.....really, I am struggling with it. I have the blocks all made but i have to force myself to work on it.....i will finish it and I'm sure it will turn out fine and she'll love it, but never again with bland photos and colors. Good luck, it will be fine!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM

There isn't really a 'pattern' per se. I made a quilt for a charity auction earlier this year. It was for the HS football boosters or something. Here is a link to the pictures http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105262-1.htm

The daughter is involved in both football and basketball. One half of the quilt is going to be a football field, the other half is going to be a basketball court. There is a lot of freehand machine embroidery involved, also a lot of computerized machine embroidery and applique. I need to get the top done so I can get the backing cut. She is going to have both teams and coaches sign the backing before the quilt is assembled and quilted.

I'm so unmotivated, even though I know the quilt will be greatly appreciated. I want to work with pretty prints and colors, dang it!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quilting is MY joy. I do not do it for others. If I make a quilt and give it away it is simply because I want to do that and it is joyful for me. I have decided I quilt selfishly and that is okay.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Like the others have suggested set a specific amount of time each day to work on it. As you see the progress you're making, you'll be inspired to finish it.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM

I let myself make one block that I really enjoy making...usually part of another ufo. Then I must make some progress on the unloved project. If I make good progress, I might let myself make a second favorite block. I was able to finish a project that I was not enjoying within two weeks time. It worked for me!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by star619
" It's like the children's story: "Inch by inch, life is a cinch; mile by mile ....(something negative that I can't remember)".
Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard ?

Its true for me too. And I find that the anticipation is MUCH worse than if I just jumped in an 'got 'er done'
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM

I had one of my quilts, lap size, and I started to do detailed quilting on it. I just wanted it to be finished. So I said I would quilt for 15min. At a time. I found myself finishing each large area even after the timer went off. It turned out fine, but I was glad to be finished. It was a UFO from a few years back that I finished last year. Yay!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 PM

I usually do what you are doing - procrastinate while giving myself deadlines that I don't stick to. :D

You'll got it done - I have faith.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 AM

If anyone asks me to make them a quilt or anything else, I tell them I charge $10 an hour that usually changes their mind.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 AM

I have succumbed to pressure in the past to make quilts for someone I barely knew, and didn't enjoy it at all. I have since learned to say, " I would, but I have nine quilts in line to make" Somehow, the number nine does the trick. Saying no is not easy, guess we are flattered to think that someone appreciates our skill: they really just want something great that someone else does the heavy lifting on.