Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality? >

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
fancy_fabric, please share with us a few of your online sources with good prices that we can look at and hopefully continue our fabric buying. I do like helping owner run businesses when I can.

my first go to shop for most recently released fabric is fabric.com

they always have 15% off coupon codes, just do a google search and you'll find them and shipping is free at $35 instead of $50. they also have a rewards program and give you gift certs based on how much you've spent over time.

current fabric is typically priced at $8.98 and with 15% off that comes down to $7.63.

i just ordered Kaufman Christmas Holiday fabric from their Flourish Collection for $6.49 a yard (on sale with a 15% coupon code) and shipping was free because i spent more then $35.

they have sales daily and weekly so sign up for the newsletter

they have sale fabric all the time and routinely put out coupon codes for 20-30% off the sale fabric.

then the next place i shop at often is Thousands of Bolts - they do not have free shipping but fabric is around $4.50 a yard and batiks are $5.95 a yard (cheaper then connecting threads and these are Hoffman, Kaufman, etc).

i also shop at Quilt Fabric Closeouts prices are around $5.60 and go down from there.

Whittles Fabric is also another great place to shop with fabric costing $6 or less.

all of these sites sell the top brand manufacturers and provide excellent service. i have even sent them scraps to have them match up colors for me.

i suggest you sign up for all there newsletters so that you know the sales and any discount offers they have.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I don't know for sure - this is just a guess - but I think that CT can keep the prices lower because they have the batiks made to their specs and then sell direct through their internet site rather than through quilt stores or other sites. I think their product is very good. It may be thinner than some, but it's better than most others. I don't like the really thick batiks (got some of those long ago from JoAnn's). The ones from CT have a good feel.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
fancy_fabric, please share with us a few of your online sources with good prices that we can look at and hopefully continue our fabric buying. I do like helping owner run businesses when I can.

my first go to shop for most recently released fabric is fabric.com

they always have 15% off coupon codes, just do a google search and you'll find them and shipping is free at $35 instead of $50. they also have a rewards program and give you gift certs based on how much you've spent over time.

current fabric is typically priced at $8.98 and with 15% off that comes down to $7.63.

i just ordered Kaufman Christmas Holiday fabric from their Flourish Collection for $6.49 a yard (on sale with a 15% coupon code) and shipping was free because i spent more then $35.

they have sales daily and weekly so sign up for the newsletter

they have sale fabric all the time and routinely put out coupon codes for 20-30% off the sale fabric.

then the next place i shop at often is Thousands of Bolts - they do not have free shipping but fabric is around $4.50 a yard and batiks are $5.95 a yard (cheaper then connecting threads and these are Hoffman, Kaufman, etc).

i also shop at Quilt Fabric Closeouts prices are around $5.60 and go down from there.

Whittles Fabric is also another great place to shop with fabric costing $6 or less.

all of these sites sell the top brand manufacturers and provide excellent service. i have even sent them scraps to have them match up colors for me.

i suggest you sign up for all there newsletters so that you know the sales and any discount offers they have.
Thanks for the great info!!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 AM

I love my batiks from Connecting threads and found they stitched up beautifully in my projects.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 AM

I use them all the time, some of the fabrics are a bit thinner then name brands but has never been an issue and I think their thread is wonderful
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 AM

Thank you--thank for for all this information about Connecting Threads. I just got their catalog and loved all the fabric choices but was wondering about their quality. I love their prices and plan to order soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 AM

love their thread!!! some of the fabric not too crazy about. love their charms!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 AM

Yes, I am a Junkie,but

live almost a hundred miles from any where, so where I am there is only Wal-Mart and one local quilt shop.
I have not ordered any fabric on line, but have ordered notions and Books, mostly from Amazon,,,, I have been pleased with those things.
I bought a lot of material from WW , when I was building my stash, but I was careful in what I bought,but with the newer fabric they are bringing in here, it is packaged and I don't like that, I like to feel what I am buying, I do raid the remmant box, but a lot of times they don't have a lot.
I sew mostly for family, g-g kids, so I do some clothing as well.

If I want really good material, I go to the quilt shop, I like to support the local business, but I have to watch what I buy, due to the ecomany and a fixed income.
I am not really a fan of fat quarters, but have some,however I like the yardage better,
I just bought a new Joname7700, more for the harp space than any thing else, I will have a new g-g child in June, so will be making quilts and baby blankets, maybe bumper pads, I have a stash of baby blankets, burb clothes and bibs ready to donate to a charity, and some crocheted things, but can/t handle the crochet much any more because of my hands,
Sorry about the long post.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I have made several purchases of fabric and thread and I have not been disappointed in anything I have received. I think their prices are low because they are on-line only. No brick and mortar store.
I bought their thread and I love it! There are 1,200 yards per spool and I bought a dozen this summer when they had a sale on them and I am still on the first one and have already made one big quilt and am working on a coverlet now! I love the thread. I stand by them 100%. Edie
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 AM

i have been happy with the fabric i have bought . i think it is nice stuff.