Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Hand Pieced GFG given to me.... >

A Hand Pieced GFG given to me....

A Hand Pieced GFG given to me....

Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 AM

I just had sort of the same thing happen to me. I went to TN for the funeral of my aunt and other aunt gave me a quilt top that she hand pieced over 20 years ago. It's a log cabin in browns, pinks & blues. My hand stitches are horrible & I'm just learning to do machine quilting on a frame. Plus, I have a juki & the quilting space only goes up to a 4" area. Charismah, if you have any suggestions or pictures to post of your work on a log cabin I would love to see them. I know that I can't do what you achieve, but I might get an idea here or there. Good luck with your GFG.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 AM

I'd hand quilt it. But I love hand sewing. If you intended to use it soon or have it done that would be best in the interest of time, but I'd hand quilt it myself. Not likely to be finished in this century though.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM

This is a hand pieced quilt top and I would either have it hand quilted or be very traditional with the long arm quilting. I have many hand pieced tops and plan on machine quilting them but will only do what someone from the 1930 would do. That means no stippling or swirls across the fabric. I believe this pattern is mostly outline. I have one like this hanging in my sewing room and that is what they did with mine, it is all hand quilted with no feathers, stippling etc.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 AM

Charisma I just got one too. A grandmother's flower garden quilt top in perfect shape probably from the 30's. I have a quilt machine but I'm just not sure what to do. Maybe this will be the first hand quilting I'll do along the edges.
You're the expert so I'll wait to see what you decide.
Your work is always superb.
Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 AM

You're so talented but I gota agree with since its hand pieced, hand quilt it. It's a really cool thing to be able make use of, or do even the old traditional ways of quilting. :)
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
A friend of mine gave this to me...I didn't realize it...she gave me a bag on Monday night. She said it had a few odd and ends in it. It was dark when I moved it to my car and I didn't look in the bag or anything.

So imagine my surprise when I opened the bag last night and found this?
It is all hand pieced and ready to be finished.

This is so beautiful....but it always stresses me out on how to finish these. Do I machine quilt it...have it hand quilted? What I do know is that it does need to be finished...it needs to be a quilt. So it can be loved and treasured for it's intended purpose.... :?

Now to decide???
hand quilt only---imo!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Handing Quilting without a doubt. How about a Sashiko Machine from BabyLock. It's a hand quilting machine it works up beautifully and quickly. Check it out on the BL website.
Good Luck.
Sheryl
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
A friend of mine gave this to me...I didn't realize it...she gave me a bag on Monday night. She said it had a few odd and ends in it. It was dark when I moved it to my car and I didn't look in the bag or anything.

So imagine my surprise when I opened the bag last night and found this?
It is all hand pieced and ready to be finished.

This is so beautiful....but it always stresses me out on how to finish these. Do I machine quilt it...have it hand quilted? What I do know is that it does need to be finished...it needs to be a quilt. So it can be loved and treasured for it's intended purpose.... :?

Now to decide???
OH MY Charisma I don't thing I'd do too much quilting on this one. It is gorgeous and the hand piecing is perfect. Wonderful gift
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 AM

I too was given one of these - very old and hand pieced with teeny seams. I had to replace a few hexagons and then I hand quilted. Took forever but it is smashing and covers a double bed very nicely. Today I would likely try to machine quilt it.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 AM

It's beautiful. I think it should be hand quilted. What a gift she gave you. Wonder how old it is??!!