Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you make? >

What would you make?

What would you make?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Casserole holders with potholders

Rice/corn hot and cold packs - really go over well with achy muscles!

Snap beer can wraps (using old metal measuring tapes)- you can use favorite team logo fabric

Lap quilts using fleece or flannel - small so they don't trip, but keep the lap warm while sprawled in front of the TV for the game!

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Shopping bags with strong strappy handles are really popular now: you know, "go Green!" How about making a very Masculine strappy handled bag: canvas, camo, in nature colors: blacks, browns, greens. The quilted part could be for one side or for two.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
do folks really use these? i got one in a swap but don't quite know what to do with it.

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
why not the rice bags that you heat or freeze?
Our family uses them all the time - Two minutes in the microwave = 20 to 40 minutes of muscle relief. Freezer takes a bit longer (an hour or so to cool down) but similar results. I can't keep them out of my son's hands, so have had to make a bunch more.

VERY GOOD CHOICE for physically active people.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 AM

Ties or hats?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 AM

If you have this much time and only $25 and it is going to be opened and passed around then I'm sure you want something intricate that people will ooooh and aaaaah over. Good time to make a small project out of postage stamps or watercolors - how about a Bible cover? a wallet? a decorative pillow?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 AM

I have made coverlets (52x80 - 15 - 12" blocks), a sampler, with leftover fabric and have only had to buy the batting, backing, sashing and possibly the border all for under $25.00. I am in the process of making one right now and have only spent $10.00 and that is including the backing and the batting. I think you could easily make one for under $25.00. A coverlet is larger than a lap quilt and longer - makes for a nice quilt to curl up in a chair with or lay down on a couch and curl up! (Never end a sentence with a preposition - sorry about that! I type like I talk!) Edie
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I ditto the laptop bag!! Selvages will work for guys or gals, but since it's going to be traded and traded, make it as pretty as you like. If the guys don't want it, the ladies will!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 AM

You have seen most of my ideas already. But how about pajama pants with fun but generic flannel?? Size depending on size of most in family. Or a gardening or handy person apron/tool organizer/ holder.
This is not particularly quilty but would be very desirable- Something date night or party related. Include homemade goodies, a CD of fun music or a family favorite movie, a theme (could involve cute fabric somethings), baby sitting voucher if little children are involved. I know most people need to date their spouses more and they aren't always creative on the fly. Good luck choosing.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Im a gift exchange, I picked a quilter, I gave her a bucket of scraps , spools of thread, patterns and a 6″square, On the bucket, glued a label ″My toy box"

Need ideas or patterns go to ; www, tipnut.com
Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 AM

Last year I made holiday pillowcases for the folks I work with (8 pair) and my coworkers loved them...