Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... >

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM

I have purchased rice in cloth bags that were very nice. I kept them, but who wants a heavy white fabric with "long grain brown rice" printed on most of it? The bags are a twill weave about the same weight as my DH's Dockers.

It would be nice if it came packaged in calicoes again with a paper label attached. We can keep on dreaming!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I wish they would!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 AM

I think I would buy it.

Someone mentiond pesticides. All foods have one form or another except maybe organic.

Bugs! They still come in cardboard boxes, plastic, etc.

As far as cooking from scratch - I still do as I don't like my family having all the processed foods. Our nation would be healthier and have less of a weight problem if we went back to scratch and fresh. Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
You're forgetting about the bar symbols that are needed for scanning. It would not be practical to print those on fabric because they would crack or flake off. I have noticed that you can sometimes buy big bags of rice in fabric bags. They are not very nice though.
Those rice bags may may not be good looking but makes nice for backing if you make tote bags and such.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM

I still get my flour in the fabric bags from Win-Co & have for years. They always have a good selection of patterns to choose from. I also still have glasses from when they & towels came in boxes of laundry soap. They are very sturdy glasses. Not at all like the thin flimsy ones that are made now. My sister has a set of wheat dishes that came out of oat meal boxes. Also still have dishes I got out of dog food bags & remember when my milk was delivered to my door. Now please don't ask my age. LOL
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM

That sounds wonderful but imagine what it would look like....all the ingredients were to be trusted in the past. Now we have to put all the ingredients, allergens,calories...etc, Etc., ETC. That turn out to be some Ugly fabric unfortunately.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM

My mom has a set of green glass icecream cups she got from laundry detergent (way back when). I hope to receive some day.
I think if they used a plastic sleeve and printed the FDA info. on it that would preserve the fabric for better use.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
Clynns:
I use to get to write Santa and ask for....
from using the S&H Green Stamps store! It was right next to Winn Dixie and as a kid, I'd "window shop". lol I was more ready to get those stamps from the cashier at checkout and keep them safe until I got them home to put them in "the book" than my mother! I'm ONLY 44!!!!~
Great idea!~
Folks don't think twice about paying for a glass from the dollar store 1.00. How much do they think that glass costs?!?! VERY LITTLE.... It's all doable.
Do you remember the Stamp dispenser hanging by the register?
The cashier would stick her finger in the dial and turn it to dispense the correct number of stamps?

Fabric packaging would be pretty neat to see a comeback in some form.
But... food safety is much more of an issue these days.

I don't even see french bread sold in the long paper bags at the stores without being in a plastic sleeve as I remember years ago.

After being so accustomed to our current ways of packaging food.. I think I'd almost be skeeved out if it didn't come packaged and sealed!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Probably won't happen because there's a cotton crop shortage world wide due to flooding/ hurricanes/droughts.
Nice thought though.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM

I remember when we bought flour etc in cloth bags and one of the problems was we couldn't close it well enough. I remember that weavels got into the flour. Also, when you set that bag down a big puff of flour or whatever got into your face. While the bags were nice to get, they weren't as helpful as the packaging that we have now. I don't know why we didn't think to put the flour or whatever in huge covered tubs but we didn't. I know that plastic bins and tubs weren't as readily available then as now.