E-Readers

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I have had a Kindle for about 3 years now and love it-no problems. If I were going to get a new one I'd wait just a bit because they just announced a new one with features similar the an I-pad. Price is predicted to be about $200.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM

if you can hold out till nov 15 amazon in releasing the kindle fire which is very comparable to the ipad {according to the reviews i read} it will be released with a $199price tag the nook color is a little pricier at 250 and pandigital has theirs witch is usually 199 but you can find it for about 160 from various places i had a pandigital black and white witch i liked very much till i broke it remember to always get the extended warranty whichever you buy so i am looking at the pandigital tablet or the kindle fire.
my library {sno isle} just added kindle but i think if you download adobe digital editions to your computer you can side load to your readers that is how i do the one i have now whatever you get you will very much enjoy it
also if you have trouble sleeping try to find one that has night reading on it it is still backlit but the print is white and background is black and does not wire you out
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM

I have a kindle, there are resources to change books to their format. But I find the best part is the number of free and low cost books offered for the Kindle, Ereaderiq.com and BooksOntheKnob.com are both sources of free books, and also very low cost books. You can also access books from the library now on your Kindle.
But as for backlit, only a tablet like I-pad does that I beleive.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 PM

I used to have to ereaders, both sony's, and both died. I refuse to use a kindle, as I am boycotting amazon for continuing to sell a book written by a pedophile with tips on how to, until the public outcry grew too much for them. I don't like those business practices. I next looked at the nook, and if I were to buy another, that is the one I would buy. However, I have found that I don't need one. I already have one - my favorite. It is my smartphone. I have a sony app, so I can get all my sony purchases, a nook app, so I can get all my current book purchases, and an overdrive app, so I can get my library ebooks. I now read all my books on my smartphone. I love it. Small, lightweight, can download any time, any where, no downsides except the small screen which I quickly adapted to. One less electronic gizmo to keep track of. Virg
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue
I have a kindle, there are resources to change books to their format. But I find the best part is the number of free and low cost books offered for the Kindle, Ereaderiq.com and BooksOntheKnob.com are both sources of free books, and also very low cost books. You can also access books from the library now on your Kindle.
But as for backlit, only a tablet like I-pad does that I beleive.
Both my sony readers were backlit. So, I believe is one of he nooks.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM

I still love my NookColor. I've had it since last Christmas, have had no troubles with it and have no issues with the touch screen. If I ever upgrade or have to replace it, if budget allows I'll get an iPad but would get another NookColor without hesitation.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
I have the Kindle with 3G and love it! Have 34 books so far, I delete them after I read them but they are still in the Amazon library if I want to go back and download again. Majority of my books are free, a couple were $2.99. Wish I had it when I was working. I made a pocket out of crafting felt to carry it in.

QUESTION - I haven't checked out the local "library" aspect - How can or do I check that out? Is there web info on it?

Thank you for your help.
Check with your local library or on their website. More and more libraries (even in small towns) are adding this service.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM

I LOVE my Kindle. Just downloaded 3 books from one of our libraries. Will try the other one as soon as I update my library card. It's my understanding that I can download books from just about everywhere. I have the leather cover with the light which is just right for low light conditions. I have read more since I got it for Christmas than in the last several years.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:15 PM

I have both the Kindle with WiFi and 3G as well as the Nook. I use them both...and can access the public library here, so that makes things even better. They just started letting us do that last week so I'm having a blast. The only thing is that the loan time is the same as if you go into the library and actually check out the books...maybe they'll change that one of these days.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

You might like the pandegital reader I have one it is icolor has a backlight and wifi i also love the fact that I can play music while you are reading