Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... >

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
As wonderful an idea as this is it just isn't possible today. Not because of money or even treated fabrics. Its because of the Crazies out there.
Isn't it sad that there are people out there that get their kicks out of harming other people. :thumbdown:
Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

The flour sacks I get have a paper upc label on the fabric that comes off easily. Also to prevent weavels you can either put the flour in the freezer for a few days & if you don't have freezer space, put a few bay leaves in it. I use both of these methods & have never had weavels no matter how long I have had stored flour. I put bay leaves in anything that has a flour base to it like pasta & even oat & corn meal. I did test this several years ago by buying two small bags of flour. One I put a bay leaf in it & the other not. Set them side by side on a shelf touching each other. The one without the bay leaf got weavels & the other did not. So I do know this works.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Halo
The flour sacks I get have a paper upc label on the fabric that comes off easily. Also to prevent weavels you can either put the flour in the freezer for a few days & if you don't have freezer space, put a few bay leaves in it. I use both of these methods & have never had weavels no matter how long I have had stored flour. I put bay leaves in anything that has a flour base to it like pasta & even oat & corn meal. I did test this several years ago by buying two small bags of flour. One I put a bay leaf in it & the other not. Set them side by side on a shelf touching each other. The one without the bay leaf got weavels & the other did not. So I do know this works.
I do that too!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
What if our flour, sugar, corn meal, baking mixes, etc....
CAME IN A CLOTH SACK again!?!?!?
Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL!?!?!?
I keep thinking this and excuse me if someone has already brought it up here, I'm still new and can't possibly get through all the posts AND SEW!~:)
What if we all wrote and bombarded them with requests? Would it make a difference? I would CERTAINLY buy that product, as long as it was a quality product. However, if it was a quality product, then all the more reason for packaging it nicely and in an appealing manner.
I'm so surprised with all the "green" and whatever going on... that nobody has done this. We quilters are a HUGE group of consumers~!!!!
Besides us, there are all these backyard chicken farmers, hobby farmers,etc. that would love their feed in cloth also.
What do you think?
I have purchased flour in 25 # cloth sacks in recent years, however I have not seen it localy for the last 5 or 6 years.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

thanks for the information on the flour I will sure try it expecially on the cornmeal, just had to throw some away and clean cupboard
Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM

As one growing up with feed sacks used for clothing, dish towels etc., it is a lovely idea but in this day in age, we need all the protection we can get against the other bad elements. So the foods must be protected. I have allergies all fruits and vegtables are rinse with fresh water and a touch of bleach and I mean a touch. I don't even like all the plastic that is on foods or plastic used microwaves either. Isn't it just disgusting???????
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM

A small tag could be sewn into the closure once the sack was filled just as it was some years ago. I am afraid that bugs and possible poisons (from the crazies) would be a problem but I surely would like to see it again, at least on a trial basis to determine the cost effectiveness and safety. In the humid south, it could be a mold issue.
Originally Posted by Tartan
You're forgetting about the bar symbols that are needed for scanning. It would not be practical to print those on fabric because they would crack or flake off. I have noticed that you can sometimes buy big bags of rice in fabric bags. They are not very nice though.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by pamt
I have purchased rice in cloth bags that were very nice. I kept them, but who wants a heavy white fabric with "long grain brown rice" printed on most of it? The bags are a twill weave about the same weight as my DH's Dockers.

It would be nice if it came packaged in calicoes again with a paper label attached. We can keep on dreaming!
I was NOT clear, sorry. I meant this... with "feedsack PRINTS", such as calicos. sorry
Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter
I suspect it is all about money...the other "green" motivator!

That's the truth!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM

I know I bought flour in fabric flour sacks as late as the 1980's...and wish it would come back!!