Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM

I buy both but prefer yardage so I can choose. :mrgreen:
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM

I bought quite a few kits around the time I started quilting and then about another 2 yrs into it... Most of them, I"ve just used the fabrics out of them because they are so pretty and I know I won't make "the pattern/kit". I'm not a matchy, matchy person I discovered and I like to DO MY OWN THING> I dont' like cookie cutter stuff.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM

I don't understand all the negative comments about kits.

First of all, who would buy a kit when they didn't love the fabrics/colors involved? When a quilt shop takes the time to select a pattern and then select beautiful fabrics (that I love) why not buy the kit? I understand the reasons for not buying from large on-line retailers but don't see how my creativity is stiffled(?) by using a one or two of a kind kit any more than it is by using Jelly Rolls, packets, etc.

Those who have complained about the size of the finished project obviously didn't read the information before buying.

I certainly don't want to argue, but feel that some of the comments have implied that anyone who uses a kit is lacking in creativity. This is simply not so -- kits have their place and I see nothing wrong with using them!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM

I wait for kits to go sale or clearance, makes it much affordable for me. :)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm not particularly creative but love quilting, so I find that kits work for me. I've gotten some great deals on Ebay on some beautiful kits. Right now I have too many and feel a little stagnant that all the decisions on how to put it together have been made for me. So at the risk of contradicting myself, yes I really like kits but can be an easy (and lazy) way to quilt. As I write this I realize I miss the creative freedom you have with putting my own colors, prints, shapes, etc together. I may have to force myself to just find a pattern and remember how it is to create. I'm afraid of making mistakes or having something turn out ugly. My this little reply sounds like venting, anyway, yes I use kits, like them but br careful not to get stuck only using them.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 PM

I buy both yardage and kits. Sometimes the fabrics and colors in the kits are just perfect for me and I don't have to do the thinking and picking.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:31 AM

I do buy kits. i like them because they are self contained with everything you need. Sometime I just want a no brainer & have everyting ready without having to choose anything.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks to those of you that have weighed in on the 'kits with just enough fabric vs kits with a little pad.' By my count there are 3 that would prefer a little extra fabric in the kit and 1 that would rather have just enough to keep the price down. Any more opinions out there?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
I don't understand all the negative comments about kits.

First of all, who would buy a kit when they didn't love the fabrics/colors involved? When a quilt shop takes the time to select a pattern and then select beautiful fabrics (that I love) why not buy the kit? I understand the reasons for not buying from large on-line retailers but don't see how my creativity is stiffled(?) by using a one or two of a kind kit any more than it is by using Jelly Rolls, packets, etc.

Those who have complained about the size of the finished project obviously didn't read the information before buying.

I certainly don't want to argue, but feel that some of the comments have implied that anyone who uses a kit is lacking in creativity. This is simply not so -- kits have their place and I see nothing wrong with using them!
I agree with you. I also do not think I will see my quilt all over. Maybe it is because I don't go to that many quilters homes. I find that I use the patterns in the kits many times - using my selection of fabrics the second or third time around. Last year I bought a table runner pattern. Fabrics were nice and figured if I didn't want that one I could gift it, but I have used the pattern at least a dozen times. Well worth the money!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by atbquilts
Thanks to those of you that have weighed in on the 'kits with just enough fabric vs kits with a little pad.' By my count there are 3 that would prefer a little extra fabric in the kit and 1 that would rather have just enough to keep the price down. Any more opinions out there?
I would like a little pad. Not too much as one of the reasons I may buy a kit is that I like the fabric but not enough to have leftovers. I would like a bit of reassurance against a cutting mistake, though.