Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting Threads Thread >

Connecting Threads Thread

Connecting Threads Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 AM

I use it for piecing but I don't think it's meant to be used as hand quilting thread. Maybe on a machine or long arm. Would love to hear other opinions as far as quilting goes.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
I use the Essential cotton thread from CT and don't have a problem with it. I did a search on the Essential Pro from CT and it is 100% polyester and doesn't produce any lint. My concern with polyester threads is melting when pressing with iron. I had this happen once and hesitate to use polyester thread. Has anyone else had this experience with polyester threads?

I don't use polyester thread because I found out that it will "cut" the
fabric in quilts.

Have an old quilt that my grandma made me and could not understand why it had ho9les and was coming apart at the seams.
Took it to a friend to help me repair it (this was before I started quilting) and she told me that it was because of the thread and she pulled off a long piece of thread and did a "burn" test to show me the difference between cotton and poly thread.

So with the answer known own to my question I brought the ugly quilt back home packed it away in a cotton pillowcase and archival box. It will stay there until my grandkids have kids/grandkids of their own. Providing I ever have any grandkids.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 AM

I use the CT spools of thread for much of my regular sewing, it is a very nice thread. It is a little thicker than I like for piecing. I started using the Essential Pro cones on my longarm, works great for me, seldom breaks, minimal lint. Decided to try it for piecing, excellent results. I think many of the comments confused the types of thread. Essential Pro is poly cones, I have yet to see it on sale. The spools of thread are cotton and are often on sale. Both are good in my opinion, just different uses. Next time you order fabric, get one spool and one cone and see how you personally like them or not.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by dhanke
I use it alot, it's a bit linty, but no more so that Star or coats and clark. My Janome isn't fussy, I just clean out the bobbin area a couple of times during each project. The price and color selection can't be beat, especially when it's on sale.
I agree.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM

I buy the large cones in neutral colors for piecing ( 50 wt. ) Never have a problem with lint.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM

I buy the large cones in neutral colors for piecing ( 50 wt. ) Never have a problem with lint.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM

I sew on my Elna and on an older singer with their Essentials thread and am well satisfied with it. I also use the Pro on my Nolting Fun quilter sometime! But both work well, sometimes quite linty, but canned air cleans up the mess easily!!!
Mary Jane
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM

I have used the Essentials thread and had no problems what so ever.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Can't use it in my Bernina 830 lint was terrible and had to have my repair guy clean it out for me!!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
I am very interested in this QB thread about the CT threads !!!!!!

I am awaiting a purchase in which I ordered thread.......

so far, I have no complaints with the previous threads. I use it for piecing but was told one time that I could use it in machine quilting. Have not tried that as yet.

I have written a note to them and will post it when I receive a reply.

MJ
As quoted above, here is the reply from CT's customer service to the inquiry I sent to them this morning.

Dear MaryJane,

I think the confusion is about our fabrics, which are grown in the USA. The threads are made in India and have been for some time now.

The Pro is a polyester base, so it resists breakage. The regular Essential is 100% Cotton. So two completely different threads. We offer both because some quilters have strong preferences for either one or the other. The Pro is suggested for long arm quilters and would work on a regular machine and is also good for general purpose sewing.

Hope you have a great weekend.
Sincerely,

Jeanine
Connecting Threads Customer Service
customer service.