Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your quilts reflect where you live? >

Do your quilts reflect where you live?

Do your quilts reflect where you live?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM

I like to make scrappy looking quilts like I helped my Grandma make about 65 years ago. They was made out of some of the fabric left over from my dresses that my mom made me out of chicken feed sacks. I still like to buy fabric that has an old fashion look.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM

I love all colors but tend to go with bright ones toned down with others. I love traditional designs too.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Yes, I like scrappy and I live on a farm, never have had a "theme" or a matching decor so I would say yes.
MY THOUGHTS ALSO.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM

No, where I live doesn't influence the quilts I make. My quilts are traditional scrappy designs with all the colors and prints I can find. I want my quilts to look like the ones my grandmother made.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Beautiful Quilt! Love the colors!!

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I live on the edge of the Deschutes National Forest in Central Oregon. I have collected pine tree and pine cone fabric for years. Here is link to the quilt I made for our guest room. I plan on making something with the same type of fabric for our bedroom.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103588-1.htm
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM

My quilts reflect my mood.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Not so much. I tend to take families colors preference in my wall quilts & I like BOM so that I try new patterns & get my motivation from other quilters.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM

My quilts tend to reflect the mood I am in at the time. I stay in a positive mood, but they reflect if it is playful, contemplative, silly, serious, thinking of the past, present or future, or just lazy.
Playful might be bright fabrics, contemplative would be something like traditional piece work, silly would be something that is totally unlike anything I have done before, serious would be something very special, lazy would be some form of 9 patch, past, present, or future could be anything!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks
I'm still working on my first quilt, but tend to like vintage quilts in soft calico colors, simple quilt stitching. I'm thinking it reminds me of when I was young and all was good, and safe, and warm, and loving.
Hensandhollyhocks, I think we may be kindred spirits! I love calico's, small florals and country style prints. Quilts and chickens are my hobbies. I love hand quilting and old timey patterns....just recently started adding in 30's prints.

My quilts don't really reflect my home in the desert southwest, but are more reflective of when I was a young woman raising my now grown kids in a simpler time and a world that seemed a safer place.

My younger set of kids are all enjoying learning these old joys as well.....and I intend to teach them!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
I suppose in one sense they do. Blue has always been my favorite color and I live in MI surrounded by the beauty of the Great Lakes. But most of my quilts are really eclectic and scrappy looking as well. In homage to the working class nature of SE MI, I do prefer to make mine functional and don't worry about "heirloom" quilting. I want people to use my quilts not just put them up to look at.
Don't know whether living in SE Michigan makes the difference, but you described me too. Even to my favorite color. :lol: