Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM

All good suggestions, and nobody mentioned Vitamin B6,We learned this from a Chiropractor. You are suppose to start with megga doses of b6 so I wouldn't do that unless I talked to someone first, I'd just try the 250-500 daily to see what happens maybe for 6 weeks.
I know I'm not good at taking breaks when I'm sewing, just want to keep going. But I've decided to put a note on my board as a reminder so mine doesn't get worse. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM

I did the same as Buckeye Rose. I worked in print shops, very repetitive job. Surgery was the best thing I ever did.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM

I did the same as Buckeye Rose. I worked in print shops, very repetitive job. Surgery was the best thing I ever did.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 PM

I had carpal tunnel in both hands and had surgery on both at the same time and would do it again in a minute. It was inconvenient that they were done at the same time but I used surgical gloves and my husband helped alot he cooked and did laundry . n I took 1 week off from work because I couldn't take any more time.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have braces too that I wear at night. They help.But carpal tunnel is not a lack of blood flow, it is a compression of the nerves going through the carpal tunnel, a structure in your wrist. (BTW, even "pins and needles" is not a lack of blood flow, it is also a nerve problem.)

too many years of quilting, knitting, crocheting, and mine was made worse by sleeping with my hands in weird positions.
Yes it is compression of the nerves in the wrist, mostly caused from repetitive movements. I worked in a sewing factory for 35 yrs and had to have the surgery on both hands. But I would do it again because it took care of the problem.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM

I started with the braces, then had surgery on both hands. Surgery went well and my hands are good now, xcept for the arthritis I've had for years!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM

I have done everything imaginable to releive carpal tunnel syndrom I have had surgery on both wrists 2 times, and I now have it again Dr says if I don't have surgery again I will loose use of hands but I will not have surgery again for me it only seems to last a year or so. I wear splints on both hands when I have to drive very far i wear elestic gloves when I sew or do any crafts when I get up in the morning I put my thermal gloves in microwave and wear them to releive pain and release the tension in my hands and wrist otherwise I just take it easy and rest my hands often
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM

had both hands done years apart one way little cut one and big cut one. the little works better recover time is shorter and it didn't stop me from any thing after the surgery's.have it done its worth it.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have hand/wrist pain and from the description of symptoms it acts like carpal tunnel. The Dr. did a cattle prod test and according to that, it is not carpal tunnel. So I wear my braces (particularly at night), use anti-inflammatory drugs, use ice as needed, and don't overdo the quilty thing. However, my new motto is: No parts have fallen off, so I must be OK. I WILL not give up what I love to do.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM

I had carpal tunnel syndrome in 1985 for several years. At some points it was totally crippling where my hands were bent almost closed. I had surgery in 1987 and the dr. said I'd have to have it done again in 10 years. Well, to date I haven't had to have it done again and I am no longer crippled by it. When it starts to flair up because of repetitive motions, I give it a rest and flex fingers and stretch the hands back. Dr also told me I'd never be able to sew again....wish he could see me now........lol