Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To pre-wash fabric or not >

To pre-wash fabric or not

To pre-wash fabric or not

Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Golly, all the opinions can make your head spin. I don't make big quilts so take a chance on the small table runners. Hearing all the do's and don't makes me afraid not to wash. Sure wouldn't want to ruin a project that has taken me forever to finish. Can't see washing all my fabric first though not knowing for sure what I'm going to do with it.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 AM

I still prewash because I have asthma and the chemicals used in manufacturing/processing the fabric ha ve me wheezing in no time. If I go into a fabric store or quilt shop that either has inadequate ventilation or is small and close, I'm in distress in minutes. There's one shop I adore but can't stay in.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Rosie
My friend bought a kit at a LQS & the owner said she no longer washes batiks prior to cutting the fabric. Am I the only one out here who still washes fabric first? We did prewash the fabric & lost a half an inch on one side. We're squaring up to 9 1/2 & it'll be OK, but I was amazed that "we no longer pre-washing fabric."
I prewash everything even if I buy a kit. Batiks are serious bleeders and often those colour blockers don't work.So much time and money goes into our projects I hate to see them ruined because I'm to lazy to prewash.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by GGJudy
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Batiks shouldn't shrink since they've been boiled to remove the wax resist. Batiks may shed excess dye but that's only a problem if another fabric picks it up permanently. On most fabrics even if they pick up some excess dye in the wash it's still not set and will wash out of whatever picks it up.

I don't pre-wash.
I recently gently prewashed batik 2.5 " strips in my sink and laid them out on towels to dry. Some shrunk (widthwise) and some did not. Next time I won't prewash!
Prewash fabric before cutting, then you won't have this problem, think how upsetting it would be in the qult thats finished and is all wonky! :-D
I had purchased a jellyroll of spring green batik fabrics, and followed the directions for the suggested prewashing. Makes me wonder if I should repwash precut squares and/or strips.
Well, that makes me wonder about the resource, I have some Moda pre cut 5 inch charms that I am planning to wash, but havent figured out best way yet and not quite ready to start that project. I would be devastated if they shrank at a different rate, I think at this point it would be worth contacting the mfgr for an explanation or possible refund. Good Luck :-D
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM

I just finished a baby quilt using Moda "Pure" charm squares. I did NOT pre-wash. After quilting, I washed on gentle cycle in cold water and used a color catcher. I dried it on a line. I had no bleeding, and the quilting showed beautifully
Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 AM

I always pre-wash all my fabrics. I don't like the smell of some of the fabrics and sometimes I sneeze if I don't pre-wash-so I always do now.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I always prewash fabrics. I don't know who's handled them and what was on their hands, etc. I also want to be sure all the chemicals are washed away before starting on a project.
I don't work with batiks, so don't know how that would work out if they were washed first and it they run.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to pre-wash. Also use vinegar in the rinse as a fabric softener. It helps to see if any fabrics bleed, and get rid of chemicals that may interfere with fusibles~
Old 10-01-2011, 09:25 AM

I pre-wash everything.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 AM

I went for years without prewashing but this year an experience taught me to start.

I've found that dark batiks do bleed, so I prewash them. I'm starting to enjoy using more whites in my quilts, and I do not want the white to take on the colors of my other fabrics.