Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost quilts in the mail >

Lost quilts in the mail

Lost quilts in the mail

Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
How sad. I always put my name and address inside the package in a plastic zip bag pinned to the fabric of quilts or clothing I mail.
This saved a lost package -3quilts and clothing got lost -it was going to Lebanon Missouri and ended up as unclaimed in Lumberton Mississippi?? I have never used abbrevs-- my local USPS sent out a search.The box was damaged they opened it to see if it was the lost box in question -they found the addresses inside They re-boxed it and FED-EXed it to my brother.Our Post Office employees are a great bunch of people. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Seems to me that the better solution to destroying the items, would be to donate them to worthy causes. Stoopid PO policy!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Insurance would be good for recouping dollars, but it sure wont help recouping the time and love put into the item. For me it wouldnt even be about the money, but then again Im a sentimental fool that gets attached to my projects, so insurance wouldnt help me since my sense of loss would be from losing the intangibles :-(
True, but I think if a package is insured it might get a little better treatment.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:51 AM

On sept 1st I sent a parcel from the Uk to another QB member in the Usa...she wanted fabric that she could only find here...I have packaged it well...put on her address label and my return address, all taped down with clear tape. Sent it Airmail....yet a month on it still hasn't arrived. We are both so hoping it's not lost.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Oh that's a great idea! I think I will start doing that to my parcels... even the none-quilt ones. Thanks, great advice!

Originally Posted by crafty pat
How sad. I always put my name and address inside the package in a plastic zip bag pinned to the fabric of quilts or clothing I mail.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
On sept 1st I sent a parcel from the Uk to another QB member in the Usa...she wanted fabric that she could only find here...I have packaged it well...put on her address label and my return address, all taped down with clear tape. Sent it Airmail....yet a month on it still hasn't arrived. We are both so hoping it's not lost.
I would not worry about that too much yet... even postcards take a long time to get from other continents into North America. Hopefully it will show up soon :)
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM

No, it just doesn't happen in Canada. I live in Colorado and was sending a king size quilt to Nebraska to be long armed. Several days later I got a call from Nebraska asking where the rest of the quilt was because all she received was a box with a tape and pain cream in it! Six months work down the drain. In my opinion I wonder if someone saw it was going to a quilt shop, opened the box and took everything in it and put in the two items she received. Needless to say I now use FedEx and have never had a problem.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM

When I mailed my two quilts last Xmas to Italy, I was able to mail them to my daughter-in-law who works at the American Embassy. I think the reason some of the quilts never make it to the destination is because on the mailing paper you have to fill out you put "QUILT". Does this make sense?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ecmoore

For shipping in Canada, keep in mind that Purolator is run by Canada Post, and thus items can be picked up / dropped off for them at regular mail counters, and the service is about on par. (I don't see this as a good thing, to be honest.) With Fed/Ex, the individual item is scanned. With Purolator and Canada Post, it's done on a more bulk / less specific basis, where basically entire truckloads are signed in and out of locations at once - a much greater chance for loss. It's very, very easy to end up with things lost in the shuffle (an ex worked for purolator seasonally - it was a real eye opener. Some of them literally played baseball with packages.) This is why I really prefer to send via FedEx ground in Canada. Takes longer, but less of a chance for loss.
Is it true that Canadian FedEx charges a hefty tax on the recipient of the package based on the value of the contents??
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM

That is a good idea, will do that next time. Thanks.