Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality? >

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks all, for this info, I've only ordered books from them so far...fast shipping, and no shipping charges if the order is over $50. I usually get some of my quilting friends to order books at the same time so the $50 adds up fast. I will definitely start ordering fabric, thread, kits, etc., from them soon!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Most modern machines should only have ONE drop of oil in the bobbin case every couple of months. They are not like the old steel machines that the user could thoroughly clean and oil. Professional service is recommended. IMHO, that is the trade off for all the wonderful things they can do. I do keep a few (OK...too many!!) vintage machines around in case I want to sew on them....or the power goes out....LoL!!

"I have the Baby Lock Quest. I have no problems with their thread. I brush the bobbin area out after it runs out of thread each time with any thread I am using.[/quote]

I do this too. Like Campbell 34, do you oil the machine? I have no idea WHERE to do this![/quote]"
Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Thin with a shiny finish on most cottons I have ordered. Wasn't happy with how they washed either. Have not tried thread or batiks but I guess you get what you pay for may apply. I use LQS mostly because of all the work involved I want it to be a keepsake.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 AM

I have found a few of their fabrics to be a little rougher feeling than, say, the nice buttery Moda. BUT, I have never been disappointed in their fabrics or thread. Their batiks are a bit thinner, but nothing for me to worry about. Thread is great, and when it is on sale, what a fabulous deal!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM

I love Connecting Threads, both the fabric and threads. I have never been disappointed and have made many of their inexpensive kits too.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnye
Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by Sunnye
Threads:
I'm wondering why some of you have a problem with CT's thread, i.e. lint in bobbin area and some love it?
Could it be differences in sewing machines?

I have not used their thread and am just wondering. I have a Baby Lock and have a lot of lint from all my threads used (name brand, "good" quality).
I have the Baby Lock Quest. I have no problems with their thread. I brush the bobbin area out after it runs out of thread each time with any thread I am using.
I do this too. Like Campbell 34, do you oil the machine? I have no idea WHERE to do this!
According to my manual under Maintenance you are suppose to put a drop of sewing machine oil every 15 to 20 hours of operation to the hook area (where the bobbin goes in).
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Look into your instruction book. It will tell you just where to oil your bobbin, I have an older 80's Bernina930, it has never been in the shop for any thing and still runs great,I clean and oil it every time, I also have a clone 221 singer, I do the same thing with it, And now I have the new 830 bernina, still do the same , Alll of these machines tell you how to clean and oil, I use more Q tips on my machine than I use in the bathroom, I also work at our local St Vincent De Paul Thrift, I am the sewing machine lady, Most of the time when a machine doesn't work well it just needs to be cleaned out of dirt and fuzz, oil the bobbin ,adjust the upper tension or tighten the little screw in the bobbin case , or put in a new needle . Sometimes it is in backwards and will not sew that way. All I do is common sense stuff, I am not a repair person, :roll: :lol: :P
Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Just put a drop or two where the bobbin goes? Mine is vertical. Just put drop at "bottom" ? Or swab a q-tip and "wipe" it around?
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM

I put one drop at the end of a Q tip, ,Put your needle as high up as it will go Most of my machines have a place that comes a part where the bobbin goes in, push the two levers out, the black case pops down,take out the round silver cover and the bobbin case pops right out , I put oil on a Q tip because I think it gathers the dust better, swipe it around , put it all back together, just the way you took it out making sure you put it back in th proper slot and don't forget to clean out from under your needle plate they get pretty fuzzy too, I use Q tips there to reach places that get fuzzy and are hard to reach,I make all of my own quilts I do not send them out to be quilted, lots of lint and fuzz, so I clean every time I change the bobbin, I do not have a long arm machine , justa regular one , sometimes I have to put imy quilt together in several pieces, so I am doing a lot of sewing at one time , still cleaning after every bobbin fill, sure works for me , even on my old machines
Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 PM

I guess I am in the minority too - I found their fabrics to be thin. Only bought a couple of small pieces and glad of that.

I think the perception of the quality of the fabric depends a lot upon what you are comparing to and what you are used to buying.

I will try their thread and see how that goes. They do have good prices on it.