Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kindle Quilting Magazines >

Kindle Quilting Magazines

Kindle Quilting Magazines

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM

I just went through tons of Quilting Mag. and took out
what I wanted to put them in page protectors. The rest
I'm taking to our Quilting Group and giving them to anyone
who wants them. I agree after a while your storage space gets over loaded.
Like the idea of computer Mag. as its so easy to down load
just what you want.
Betty Lee
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM

A better way instead of reading them on a e-reader is to read them on a tablet that way you just subscribe to the digital issue like you normaly would and read them that way and you get to print them if need too. :)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM

I work/live way out in the country and the Kindle has been a wonderful addition to my life. I am 35 miles from anywhere to buy a book and work isn't much better as I man a gate onto a site and I can read all day. I found that I would finish a book and didn't have a new one so the Kindle works great. The Kindle Fire even has movies, etc. which I can watch at work. I"ll let you know how it works out when I get it as I just ordered it.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
I have had too many computers fail so I would really think TWICE about collecting too many mags on any device. :lol:
I save my downloaded magazines, craft ebooks, etc to a plug in external drive (Seagate) - got it $65 at Walmart and it holds 320GB of stuff (you can get bigger), then you can plug in anywhere, know you have the copies safe, and not clog up your day-to-day use on your computer. Save my mach embroidery patterns on it, too.

OR you could just save to CD's - been there and done that, too.

Marysewfun
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I don't worry about what will be coming out next that will be better. If I waited for the better one I wouldn't have one to enjoy now. If a new version is much better then what I have and need then I'll get the newer version but most times the new versions aren't that much different until a few years of revisions. After a couple of years it is time to update anyway. DH has one of the older Kindles and it's perfect for him, he only reads books on it even though it has a browser and game capability he has never used. No use to update his. I will watch movies and use the internet on the new Kindle so it is worth updating. I'll use my older Kindle for cookbooks to keep in my kitchen. The Kindle Fire is not a tablet, it's an all media e reader. It's not competing with Ipads or the other computer tablets because it's not one.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM

I have been waiting to by the color Nook for this reason. Most of my reading is quilt related and I didn't see anything I am interested in listed. I inquired at Barnes and Noble about when they expected quilt magazines to be included in the list of titles. I was given a technical explanation...see all these open ports here, they will eventually all be filled and hopefully quilt magazines will be included. I didn't buy it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

You can also listen to audio books on the Kindle. I get an on line quilt magazine, but I hate to say it i like the paper one. Easier to tear out of and keep patterns rather than printing everything.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
RST

"Kindle doesn't give you the option of printing anything you need from that magazine"

Actually, you can print from Kindle -- maybe not directly to your printer set-up, but you can definitely print passages or images from your e-material. Check the kindle help boards for step by steps.

RST
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
RST

"I have had too many computers fail so I would really think TWICE about collecting too many mags on any device."

Then the Kindle would be a great option for you, as your device is not where all your book and media purchases are stored. They're "in the cloud" and accessible to you from anyplace you have a cloud-reading device, even if your kindle gets lots, stolen, or hopelessly obsolete.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I store all my computer data in the cloud. Nothing gets lost if the computer crashes. Carbonite is excellent back up for everything vitally important like digital pics of my grands.