Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rather sizable difference of opinion! >

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Those "handmade" quilts at JCP, if you will look at the label, are made overseas where people don't get even a minimum wage and the quality of the fabric is somewhat questionable. Have him buy, cut and sew a quilt for himself and he will find out that there is more to it than sitting at a sewing machine.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Dh has subjected that I make some & sell them. I told him you have no ideal the time & money that goes into one. I wouldn't think of doing one for less than $500.00 & I don't hand quilt. A person I use to work for had an aunt that hand quilted quilts for Neiman- Marcus & they paid her $3000.00 a piece for them. Were in their special Christmas catalog. No telling what they charged. Didn't u just feel like slapping him.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM

AMEN, AMEN!

Originally Posted by ruck9085
Last evening, my son and I got into a discussion about quilts. He told me I should set up a website or post on ebay and sell quilts that I make. He said do custom ordered quilts and " you could sell them for $50.00, you'd clean up, Mom" I almost passed out!! So, this is how our conversations progressed.
Me: "Fifty dollars? Do you know how much work and time goes into making and handquilting a wall hanging, less alone a king sized quilt"
Him: "Doesnt matter. I mean you're just sitting in a chair all day sewing, so how hard can it be?"
Me: "How hard? Never mind that, just the material alone would cost over fifty bucks for a throw. A king sized quilt would cost well over a hundred dollars on the low end for material."
Him: Why?"
and so it went. I told him that even charging minimum wage for the hand quilting, it would still cost over five hundred dollars for a queen sized quilt. And he said, well they sell them at JCPenny for $49, and they're hand made and I got up and said, "Of course they are." and that was that. People just don't understand the time and effort it takes to hand quilt a pieced quilt. Something for nothing seems to be the mindset these days!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Gave him a $49.00 quilt from JC Penney for his only quilt. and se how long it will last him and how warm he is.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Is this a son you recently adopted? How has he grown up in your house without realizing the value of what you do??
Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

No one who doesn't make quilts can understand the time and effort put into one let alone the cost
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM

One has to have been there done that to understand.
We all do it. Just look at a pair of Jeans. Would you make them for $20.00 to $49.00. I would not but I will look to see how cheap I can buy a pair.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:04 PM

here it's the same!!
people like the things I make ( not only quilts) and want to have it.......for free
when you ask money for it....they don't need it anymore.
I stopped hoping to earn some money with handcrafts.
but for some people I will make something, when they themselves will pay for the materials.....
The really free quilts I only make for people I'm sure of they appriciate it
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Last year I started making tote bags for friends and family. My DH saw how quickly they go together compared to a quilt and decided it would be a great money maker if I were to make and sell them. When I told him no one would pay what the materials cost not to mention my labor he couldn't figure out why not. When I told him there was at least $50 just in cost plus the labor he agreed no one would pay that. I've also started making ebook reader sleeves and pocket tissue covers. He didn't even mention selling those.

I also think you should encourage your son to do a small project. My boys loved making handmade projects and they learned the value of them. While I am no where near being a perfect quilter, my younger son says I'm making him heirlooms when I give him a quilt. Your son could learn that value too and he might enjoy it so much he could be another Ricky Timms.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
Suggest the next time he mows the lawn you will give him 75 cents for the work.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: LOVE IT!!!