Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot
I hate throwing my stuff away. I have a large collapsal clothes hamper by my sewing machine that I put large scraps in and plastic bags I keep smaller ones in. I even go through the scrap box as my LQS and fill quart size baggies for $5.00. There was a suggestion on this board that we exchange strips for nickle quilts and I think thats a great idea. It would be fun to see how many different ones we would get.
Originally Posted by Beachbound
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?
I think trading scraps would be fun too, PM me if anyone is interested. I would esp like anything that could be used for an I Spy or jar quilts.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM

I do not throw away anything. I recycle. Someone will always use what you do not want. My recycle bin is larger than my trash bin.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I have been trying to cut up everything into 2 inch squares or larger. I now have piles of 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 inch squares that are in a basket. Trying to learn to quilt by using whatever I have in the house. Don't want to use anything new until I know I can at least produce something that looks like a quilt!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM

I'm excellent at throwing away crumbs and scraps. I don't save crumbs, ever, and I go through my scrap box whenever it gets full or once a year. I cut through everything using preplanned projects as my guide and if it doesn't fit with any preplanned projects, the rest goes. I stopped saving the 1.5 inch squares and will stop saving the 2 inch squares when I finish the current scrap project (hearts quilt which is my current leader/ender project).

Examples: scraps get cut into apple cores, drunkdard's path, 2.5 inch strips, 2 inch strips, 1.5 inch strips, 2 7/8 inch squares/triangles and 1.5x4 inch pieces. What's left over is tossed. In future, strips smaller than 2.5 inches and larger than 1.5 inches will just go into a box to trade with someone.

I have a box of orphan blocks. Eventually, I think, I will have enough for a quilt to tie and donate to a nursing home. However, I keep giving away blocks to someone who needs 'just one more' to finish their own orphan block quilt, so the box never actually gets full.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I've given a few boxes to some quilters here on the QB, but mostly take to the thrift store. I sent a large box (about 15 yds)to someone a while back - stating up front "I have a smoker in the house" I got a nasty note back complaining about the smell. She didn't feel she should have had to wash the stuff. Well it was free and I paid for the shipping too. So I just give to the thift store.
Not so long ago; I bought fabric from someone on Ebay. I would have been very happy if it was only smoky smelling. My fabric was supposed to be all cotton. Much of it was poly -blend. I can wash; but chose not to use anything but cotton. Gave away most.Wish more people knew what they're selling.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
Our local garbage has indicated material must be thrown in trash, not recyclables, which means it goes to the dump and gets stuck in the ground to degrade over the next 100 years or so.

A local group got together and asked all seamstresses and companies still making things with material to donate anything they were paying to throw in the garbage. It resulted in some really good giveaways every month, and has kept a bunch of us happy with free fabric.

Please don't dump those odds and ends in the trash! Use them as stuffing if you are not going to need them and can't give them away. IMHO Thank you!
Love this idea! I never throw away,usually can find someone who needs more than me.
Funny story---
Went to a budget meeting . Was talking to a woman before the meeting.She's also a quilter.
Someone gave me several large boxes of fabric. [I'm a quilt snob- only want 100% cotton].
Much of it wasn't all cotton; but thought about that woman and called my friend to see if she would give me her name/address/ phone number.She did.
I called her; [the Quilter]explained to her what I had. All types of material, some beautiful, uglies, knits; ect... She said she could/ would/ does use anything she got her hands on . I said I would bring it right over, if she didn't mind. She said she would be waiting.
Imagine my surprise when I wrapped on the door and a woman answered whom I had never met before.She couldn't help me carry the boxes inside; back problem. But with tears in her eyes ; and a big hug, she thanked me!
I've been truely blessed.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:18 PM

I don't throw away anything.
I make lapquilts with my scraps! I love scrappy quilts, crumb quilts are so fun too. Baby scrappie quilts too! Then little doll quilts with 2" squares. Anything smaller goes to my dog bed basket to make pillows for the humane society!Same with batting, never throw it out!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa Marie
I save all my scraps, blocks, UFO's but I am getting tired of looking at it.
Send it to me,I'll look at it!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by jmabby
I only keep things that are even strips or squares, no scraps
Me too - and only then if I really like it. Otherwise it goes in the scrap basket, lined with a grocery bag... when it starts overflowing I tie it up and in the trash it goes!
NO NO NO ,Please , I'll pay postage.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM

I just cant throw away any thing in my sewing room. I just may need it SOMEDAY!!!