Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online Fabric Shopping >

Online Fabric Shopping

Online Fabric Shopping

Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melhuff
I'm still curious about your selection. As I'm new to quilting and am overwhelmed when in a store WITH material, I dont quite understand how you figure out how well material will flow together when you are online shopping. Does this question make sense??
Thanks!
Melinda
melinda

i think this is a common issue with new quilters. i believe it really just comes down to you haven't found your style yet.

i, too, find many fabric to be beautiful but i don't buy it all nor do i work with it all.

i have a rather narrow range of fabric designs that i enjoy working with and i buy them all the time. then the rare bird will peek my interest and i'll just buy that.

when trying to match fabrics it always easiest when you buy all the pieces from the same line.

once you spend more time with fabric and quilting you'll realize that all colors and fabrics actually go together quite well and that its value and tone that makes a quilt sing.

this concept becomes very apparent when you look at scrap type quilt - the only thing that matches in a scrap quilt is value and tone.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

I am in the UK and frequently buy fabric from US online. I try to keep the value below about $35 so that I do not have to pay duty, but it means I do not always end up filling the envelope. Usually I buy fabrics I have either already seen in a store, so know what they will look like; or I buy from specific collections. I have never been disappointed. I have also bought fabric in UK from a local shop and then bought what I want for the backing online, so it works out a lot cheaper when I need several yards of one particular fabric.

Best online seller I have come across is www.debsews2.com. She also sells via EBay. She is incredibly helpful.

Pamela
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i loooove Nixie Chicks when they have a sale. you can easily stay under $4.00 py.

i recently learned of a sale on board, i can't remember which. i spent $185.93 on spec. they charge #12.95 shipping no matter how much fabric you buy. so the rest of that was fabric.

i know klue spent a lost on that sale also. she may remember that sale site.

also, sometimes if you spend $50 or $100, they drop the shipping. it's not as hard as it sounds.
nixie chicks is having a sale right now where, if you spend $25.00, you get free shipping. check it out. stay with the $3.99 and under. trust your taste.

http://www.nixiechicks.com
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM

I just tried to follow your link and it didn't work. You need to leave the "www" out and just use this link instead:

http://favoritefabric.com/

thanks for your post - can't wait to check this out.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 PM

http://craftconn.com

just tried this one and it worked! what a world! :mrgreen:

sorry, NYN. now i can't post my little faces. :evil:

teehee - my mistake. :oops: :oops:
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Thank you all for the recommendations on how to add a link properly! I'm still new to this whole forum thing...