Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Remember, Salsa is a no calorie salad dressing with lots of flavor, if you like it creamy, mix salsa with cottage cheese in a blender, add a little basil and it will taste like ranch/w salsa. very low calorie and high protein.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Hi Ladies... i don't do real good at replying to ALL of the posts, but i do want you to all know that I read them all. I have only lost 1/2lb so far... I can fluctuate 1-2 lbs a day, so i don't even really consider something until it is like 5 lbs. anyway it sounds like everyone is doing wonderful... It made me wonder though, about the lady on the roof... If your husband is 80+, you probably have no business being on your roof either!!! Isn't there a younger relative or neighbor that could come help you? Be careful... it is so very easy to slip on a roof..... AND you had a chain saw!!!!

On another note... I am so very excited for 10/22 to get here. I am going to my mom's (in Maine). Then we are going to a quilting retreat...so very stoked about this. It is a 3 or 4 day retreat, but will be able to spend a total of 3 weeks with her and help her learn her new Bernina Artista 730... She's afraid to do too much with it for fear of messing something up...Anyway... I hope everyone has a blessed day...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM

This sounds perfect and we always have salsa in the fridge.
I am hoping the scale dips, will have to go upstair and check. Then I will go and chug some water. Have a wonderful day.
Originally Posted by purplemem
Remember, Salsa is a no calorie salad dressing with lots of flavor, if you like it creamy, mix salsa with cottage cheese in a blender, add a little basil and it will taste like ranch/w salsa. very low calorie and high protein.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM

I wonder how it would taste with greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese? I just have an issue with the visual of 'curds', even though they will be gone from blending... just a thought...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by grandma she she
It made me wonder though, about the lady on the roof... If your husband is 80+, you probably have no business being on your roof either!!! Isn't there a younger relative or neighbor that could come help you? Be careful... it is so very easy to slip on a roof..... AND you had a chain saw!!!!

You will enjoy learning about Xylie. She is indestructible, self-reliant, can fix ANYTHING, and now we are learning can MAKE anything, a friend we love, and she is nowhere near 80. Not even 60.

She can hold her own against women half her age.

That said, Xylie, you DO be careful on that roof. Even women half your age can fall off one.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Leann
It made me wonder though, about the lady on the roof... If your husband is 80+, you probably have no business being on your roof either!!! Isn't there a younger relative or neighbor that could come help you? Be careful... it is so very easy to slip on a roof..... AND you had a chain saw!!!!
well that being said.... i had no idea. guess i shouldn't ASSuME... hmmmm.
You will enjoy learning about Xylie. She is indestructible, self-reliant, can fix ANYTHING, and now we are learning can MAKE anything, a friend we love, and she is nowhere near 80. Not even 60.

She can hold her own against women half her age.

That said, Xylie, you DO be careful on that roof. Even women half you age can fall off one.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM

I am curious as to what people's names really are. Some of these screen names are pretty cute but it is hard for me to picture what a person looks like. You don't have to reveal too much; just your first name. It's time for your weekly post for those of you that are shy. This will make it easy.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Hello friends. I am not surprised that I got up achy and tired this morning after being on my feet all day long yesterday as I got the final border on this bargello, then ironed all the little leftover strips and sorted them so that I can put them into the back I plan to start piecing later today.

My silly kid woke me from a nap wanting me to look for his absentee waiver. We are flying to Boston Oct 31 so that he can visit the MIT campus and shadow a student. He has to have all his teachers sign off on it - he only needs one more. I did not find it so that means it has to be in his binder. He said that since I was coming anyway - please bring him a pen. That kid must think I do nothing but sit around all day and sew. (Altho he is pleased with the bargello that will go to his BFF Roxanne. He gets all crazy when I call her his GF.)

Now that I am up, DH has things he'd like me to do. Shouldn't take too long. I can be ready to start on this quilt back after I pick him up from school.

Irish, sorry. After you told me I remember you mentioning earlier that you had not lost any flowers from the cold. I would love to see them. I have a moldy thumb but my mom always has gorgeous roses. Thank you for your comments on my quilt. I loved yours too and dang it - another on my list. Actually, it has been on my list for years but never saw one that was big like yours. If I had all my fabrics chosen and my pieces cut out, do you think I could do it in a weekend? Did you design the braided border yourself? Never did a braid, either. And yes, I plan to quilt this bargello myself - a kind of wavy cross hatch.

Dody, thanks for your compliment about my quilt. I needed a big border so that the quilt would be big enough to be functional but had to be careful to keep the center of the design as the first focus. The girls here helped me decide.

MJ, I was surprised this bargello was so effortless. The hardest part was selecting fabrics. I spent more days doing that than the actual sewing. What would be your colors? Congratulations on your weight loss! Glad that your friend will be sitting with you. Keeping you dear to my heart and in my prayers.

Xylie, sounds like your dental problems are cured. Wood is heavy, I know it is giving you a strenuous workout, but - take extra steps to assure your safety.

Missy, you are simply the incredible shrinking woman! Did Cathie arrive? Thanks for the reminder about the divided plate. I will do that this weekend.

Joyce99, welcome aboard. We love lots of people involved. Jump right in!

jlwheart, you are right about the down days getting further apart. They also don't seem as far down as in prior months.
Hope you make it to the pool today.

Pam, I just get tired of water. It is so boring. For me to remember, I have to set a timer. But, I may try Xylies way and drink a lot in one setting instead of the cup I try to drink every hour.

Nancia, I have to know why you think I am organized? Flu shots always give me down days immediately afterwards. Haven't had one so far this year cuz I can't get well enough. You'd be surprised how easy this bargello was to make. I had sorta tried to do one before from the Bargello Quilts book by Margie Edie. She uses a method that sews the strip to a muslin section. It seems an impractical way to construct a top, so I did not pursue it further. Someone on the Board posted a tutorial as she made Cosmic Twist from Eileen Wrights book Twist & Turn Bargello (she is also a member of this Board) and I HAD to have that book. (Yet another reason this Board is hazardous to my bank account) I have so many quilt books that I have not made a single quilt from, so I set a record with this buy and actually getting a top made within the first 6 months of owning the book. The design, Cosmic Twist, I made called for 15 dark fabrics and 5 lighter fabrics....mine was half & half and is why it seems lighter rather than darker. Honestly, I will help you make one in any way I can.

Jeanne, good for you - exercising again. I am gonna try to walk this weekend. I feel like I could today, but I do not wanna be tired tomorrow as I work the school fundraiser. I know, another excuse, right? ha!

Jeannette, what will you do with your chicken? I am making Chicken Parmesan tonight for the first time. Of Course, mine with be without spaghetti noodles.

Grandma She She, I am jealous of your quilting retreat. I can't imagine what I could get done with that much motivation surrounding me. Or would I be so distracted with everyones beautiful creations? What a dilemma!

Well, I have stalled on here long enough. If I am gonna sew this evening, I gotta get some other important things done.

Hugs!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
mim

Put your no fat cottage cheese in the blender with a litttle skin milk -- instant sour cream!!!
Mim
I wonder how it would taste with greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese? I just have an issue with the visual of 'curds', even though they will be gone from blending... just a thought...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM

I love all of the salad dressing ideas, thanks so much. Tomorrow is shopping day so I am going to try some of them. I never thought about the cottage cheese in a blender, I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I am so glad everyone is posting. It really does help keep everyone motivated. I know it has helped me right when I needed it most. Thank you ladies! I did much better yesterday and feel much less tempted to want sugar today. Sugar is so addictive for me and once I eat a bunch of it I have a really hard time stopping! It really helps if I have people to keep me accountable. This thread has helped me so much.
Pam H My real name is Nancy. I have noticed a few other Nancys on here so I guess that would make me Nancy S.

I love both of the quilts. They are both patterns on my list to make also. I saw a demo on the bagello quilts where you sew strips, cut, make loops out of your strips and then open the strips at random places, and sew back together. Is that how most of them are done?

Missy congrats! I love to hear your victories, it makes me feel like I can succeed and it keeps me motivated!
When things get hectic and negative it is so nice to be able to come here and have such a positive place to recharge ourselves.

I hope everyone has a great day and if anyone would like to send Sandy a card or note please PM Lynne or myself for her snail mail addy. I am sure she could use a hug right now. :)