Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer virus on board? >

Computer virus on board?

Computer virus on board?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by debbiecharlie
Just want to notify everyone of problems I am having and hope it is fixed soon.....

Last few days I have found the board to be "acting funny" in my opinion.....then last night on my laptop, my virus protection advised that quilting board was not secure.....today I am able to view the board (at work) but I am not able to pull up websites to view fabric....so something is up! I have 2 different virus protections so something is definately wrong somewhere....for the two to notify me...

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!
It is entirely possible that you have a Trojan, getting these types of messages (pop up warnings) is indicative when this happens.... I recommend that you have your computer checked by a professional.
BTW, have been in the business (computer networking) for 11 years and experienced 2 teenagers using my computer... so I am pretty comfortable in stating this.
Have you downloaded anything recently? visited a suspicious site? I don't think it is quilting board, but there could be a connection.... anyone can post a link to another website here, and if you have downloaded a pattern or something... wicked...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 AM

When these messages about site safety pop up, PLEASE do NOT click on any message there may be about looking into a computer protection program. I did that one time several years ago and they downloaded a huge trojan, which crashed my computer. Fortunately, Geek Squad was able to recover most of it, but the HD was so heavily infected, they said they'd never seen one that bad. Kaspersky keeps out these intruders... I recommend it highly. If you get these pop-up messages often, I'd go into Security and set the security level higher, so they can't get in.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 AM

No problems either. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM

I use Microsoft Essentials for my Anti Virus and it is free. Before you download it be sure to delete all other Anti Virus programs. I had Kapersky and got a virus which would not clean up. I called them and they wanted $300. to take care of my problem. Had to take my computer to someone to get rid of the virus. NO more Kaperskey for me and it was expensive. I am very happy with Microsoft Essentials as are other people I know.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Just want to notify everyone of problems I am having and hope it is fixed soon.....

Last few days I have found the board to be "acting funny" in my opinion.....then last night on my laptop, my virus protection advised that quilting board was not secure.....today I am able to view the board (at work) but I am not able to pull up websites to view fabric....so something is up! I have 2 different virus protections so something is definately wrong somewhere....for the two to notify me...

About two or three weeks ago I was having problems with my computer everytime I got on the board. Especially when I tried accessing links that were given, etc. My security system was sending out a message that something dangerous was trying to come in. It would automatically close the program. I haven't have that for abour three or four days. The same things were happening when I talked to some of my QB, so a couple of us decided to clean out all QB newsletters. I haven't had the problem since. I'm still not computer literate, but that was all I did and I haven't received that message again. I ran a scan (with help) and found that the system had blocked a trojan. I don't know what that is, but since someone earlier mentioned it, I thought I'd tell about it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 AM

I had the same problem a few weeks ago , but not the board. I was told by my computer repair geek that I had too many security thingies . That one was cancelling out the other. When he took 1 off , the problem quit.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Just had to deal with a hack job that occurred when I was trying to order a pattern online. It cost $73 to get the computer "scrubbed." That's something that just happens because there are pirates in cyberspace. Your virus protection can't stay ahead of them. froggyintexas
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

I have not had a problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM

No problem here.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 AM

I saw this also but I looked twice and saw that it was pertaining to an ad that is on the site and not the site itself...just don't click on the ad. Anyway that was my take on it. Please let me know if I'm wrong.