Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Sometimes I need a snack...if lunch doesn't hold me over.Other times I don't think about a snack.Just finished a good size feast of cold watermelon chunks....so tasty.

Originally Posted by Pam H
I just got home from an afternoon outing with friends. We stopped for.....yes, you guessed it......a snack! I don't know that I can go without a snack between lunch and dinner. My body doesn't like that and would most likely give me a migraine. I will have to wait for next week's taboo item.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 AM

What's for supper? I made great northern bean soup.DH will prob have grilled cheese & I'll have my hummus & veggie wraps.Also have a bowl of cucumber slices......keep them all the time.They make a good side in stead of pickles.
Yesterday we had the frozen PF Changs "skillet dinner" for 2.Has 350 cals & is on the skimpy side,so I added mushrooms & broccoli.Used a $2 coupon.

We're having the most beautiful weather in Ohio.....80,sunny,no humidity,just perfect.Dh took screens down & washed out side windows, I did inside.He also washed front of house,garage etc with power washer.

Used the glider walker for my exercise today.That along with aerobics & work at home is enough.We live out of town & no safe place for walking, which is the only thing I can do. Still eating healthy & hope you all had a good day.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Hi everyone, Just touching base with you. I have been walking the dog each day and walking a little further each time. He's loving it.

I read an interesting article about mindful eating. I have been trying it out and am definitely eating less and questioning myself if I want to eat outside of meal times. Do I really, really, really, really, really want it? Sometimes the answer is yes. Then I sit and slowly eat it, savouring every small bite, chewing it many times and then walk away from the kitchen. Sometimes the answer is No and and all I really wanted was a drink.

I also realised that I was always told off for fidgeting when I was a child so I always am very still when I sit. Oh, boy is that wrong. If you wriggle around you use up more calories. Lots of chair aerobics now! :lol:
Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Today was an off day for me, got up and my Keurig machine stopped working so no tea this morning, still hunting for my kettle I know its around here someplace.

I've lost 2 lbs in week one? are we supposed to say how much we lose?

Love the salad dressing ideas its great that there are so many people on here that are supportive of each other. Never tried to lose weight this way before, its a great idea even if I don't lose a lot.

I don't buy store brands of dressings I've always made my own, this is one of my favorites:

Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2-3 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tsp gr red pepper and 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
Today was an off day for me, got up and my Keurig machine stopped working so no tea this morning, still hunting for my kettle I know its around here someplace.

I've lost 2 lbs in week one? are we supposed to say how much we lose?

Love the salad dressing ideas its great that there are so many people on here that are supportive of each other. Never tried to lose weight this way before, its a great idea even if I don't lose a lot.

I don't buy store brands of dressings I've always made my own, this is one of my favorites:

Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2-3 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tsp gr red pepper and 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.
so no tea this morning, still hunting for my kettle

Sheila, Have you thought of boiling the water in a pan/pot until you can find your tea kettle? Dressing sounds good too.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Remember, Salsa is a no calorie salad dressing with lots of flavor, if you like it creamy, mix salsa with cottage cheese in a blender, add a little basil and it will taste like ranch/w salsa. very low calorie and high protein.
now that sounds yummy, I will try it tomorrow~ thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

What is your REAL name?

My name is Mary Jane, I am a true Southern girl and go by the double name as if it were one. If that is too long for you, I use MJ for short.

This is a REAL picture of me and Lulu.

I have so many favorite colors, but my dream bargello is with blues and lights (like whites and grays). Blue makes me calm and happy.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM

I bet we are about the same age. When I was in college there were three Nancy's on my dorm floor. I'm 65 and I guess I can be Nancy or go by my dog's name Murphy1.

First bit of rain here yesterday and today. I am hungry but am sipping on some vegetable bullion. Hmmm it tastes wonderfully comforting. We're having a broth type soup with veggies and swedish meatball in it for dinner tonight. I will make hubby a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it.

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I love all of the salad dressing ideas, thanks so much. Tomorrow is shopping day so I am going to try some of them. I never thought about the cottage cheese in a blender, I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I am so glad everyone is posting. It really does help keep everyone motivated. I know it has helped me right when I needed it most. Thank you ladies! I did much better yesterday and feel much less tempted to want sugar today. Sugar is so addictive for me and once I eat a bunch of it I have a really hard time stopping! It really helps if I have people to keep me accountable. This thread has helped me so much.
Pam H My real name is Nancy. I have noticed a few other Nancys on here so I guess that would make me Nancy S.

I love both of the quilts. They are both patterns on my list to make also. I saw a demo on the bagello quilts where you sew strips, cut, make loops out of your strips and then open the strips at random places, and sew back together. Is that how most of them are done?

Missy congrats! I love to hear your victories, it makes me feel like I can succeed and it keeps me motivated!
When things get hectic and negative it is so nice to be able to come here and have such a positive place to recharge ourselves.

I hope everyone has a great day and if anyone would like to send Sandy a card or note please PM Lynne or myself for her snail mail addy. I am sure she could use a hug right now. :)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

My REAL name is Dorothy Jane but I've been called Dody all my life. I was named after my grandmas...sure wish mom would have swapped those names so I could have been Sarah Ann.

I actually got to sew today!!! Working on another DWR table topper for Christmas, I think I am finally getting to understand this pattern.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Sheila, I plan to try your dressing recipe....sounds really good. I like to use only balsamic vinegar sometimes for a dressing.
Here's the sweatshirt jacket I have been working on the past few days. I will take it to my mil next weekend. I sure hope it fits her. She is so tiny!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-267171.jpe
Views:	51
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	267224