Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting >

ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting

ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM

I decided to sandwich my quilt on the patio this week, large area, flat. Long story short, cement attracts dog hair, who knew.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Can the fusible be pulled off and reapplied? I like the spray basting, that way if you get a pucker you can pull the backing up and repostion. I also smooth out from the middle.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM

if my floor isn't big enough, I go to the elementary school after hours - usually within an hour after the kids go home. The custodians let me push two cafeteria tables together and when I'm done, I let myself out. They usually walk by every so often to check on me - a tin of home-made cookies, fudge or cupcakes is a real nice giftie to thank them for the time allowed. Been doing this for years!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm one of the lucky ones to have a rather big diningtable...and extra high to.
The quilt I'm working on right now is the biggest I ever made, 98" by 102".
I glue a matchbox on the middel of the table, fold the layers of fabric in four to find the centre and then one by one place them on top of each other on the table. centre on the matchbox.
DH helped me to put the layers on the table.
Then I tack the quilt with very small tags.
I start quilting from the centre and work out
Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
For quilts bigger than wall hanging I use the board method to sandwich! It is taught by Susan s? I can never spell her last name. It's on you tube. I also starch both pieces. Since doing this Ive had NO puckers. I'm just learning to SID and can barely fmq! I use a small table . No more pins! U might be able to go up to search on here and find the link.
It's Sharon Schamber. I have used her method & it works great. 15yr GD did her first 60x70 quilt this method. not a
pucker on the back. used serpentine stitch.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Just some thoughts:- Your local quilt store might have a work room where customers can bring projects to work on. Also, a friend was able to get "off time" in her church all-purpose-room with large tables - the kind they use for community dinners.
Even the public library might have a meeting room with a large table. Or email me and come visit! Good luck. Connie
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM

I just recently bought the "old fashioned?" cardboard cutting board from Hancock Fabrics for $9.99, and I use it on top of the bed. This keeps me from pinning to the bed ! LOL - have done that too!! My bed is one of those higher ones so it does not kill my back. I also have used the top of the washer for pinning smaller projects together. Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I have made one quilt using the boards for basting (Sharon Schambers method). I found a table at Wal-Mart which has hinges in the middle and the legs fold up. When opened up, it is six feet long and when it is folded, it is very thin and will slide behind a chair in the den to get it out of the way. It is 30 inches wide. I sat on my couch in the den and watched TV while basting. It worked great and I had no puckers when quilting it. I plan to do all my quilts this way from here on. I don't remember the exact price of the table but it was very reasonable. I would recommend this method. Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM

I use the meeting room at the local library. I can push tables together as needed. Diane C
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM

Does your library, or senior center or church have big tables? You can probably shove several together.
Ask them if they will let you come on a rainy tuesday morning or sometime when it is not busy, and use the tables to lay out your quilt so you can pin or baste it together. If you can, bring a It is friend or two, and all work on everybodys quilts.
It is amazing how fast it all gets done with helping hands.
Then when you get it home, you will scrunch it up anyway to sew it. So you won't need the space then.
Stay off the floor! When I get down there I am stuck forever! By the way, a big refrigerator cardboard on a bed works wonders for smaller wall quilts and throws - things like that...