Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip to Lancaster (Amish) >

Trip to Lancaster (Amish)

Trip to Lancaster (Amish)

Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 AM

We flew into Philadelphia and then drove a good distance to Lancaster - but the ride was scenic and very nice. We stayed in a smaller Country Inn hotel which was very nice and allowed for day trips to Strasburg, Intercourse, Hershey, etc. We traveled to the Amish country to attend the The Day Out With Thomas The Tank Engine in Strasburg and although over ten years ago, it was one of the best vacations we had. On our way back home, we had time to visit the Liberty Bell and the U.S. Mint before boarding our plane for home. Great restaurants in Lancaster too. Have a wonderful trip.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Just came back from Lancaster and would not stay downtown at all. we stayed at the econolodge at that was at the end of the strip. Just make sure you bring extra luggage for bringing home fabric like we will be doing. Lots of wonderful places to see.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Ohhhh, I want to go to that area one day!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't get away that far right now but it's on my Bucket List. Hopefully, it won't be too far in the future. Probably spring or fall would be the prettiest!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 AM

I live about 40 miles from Lancaster...8 miles from Harrisburg. I go to Lancaster regularly for quilting supplies, fabric and fun. I usually go to a quilting retreat there twice a year also. This is the link where we have our quilting retreat. I would stay here instead of in a hotel for a better taste of the local area and history. the hospitality of the owners is wonderful: http://www.whiteoakbnb.com/

You will definitely need a car to explore. Lots of rural areas and places you won't want to miss. Please feel free to PM if you have more questions and I will try to help. I will be in Lancaster in the next week or two and I would be glad to gather some brochures and info for you and send them to you, if you wish.

I am sending you a picture of a famous fabric store (not the norm, mind you)...just something you need to see. All we do is shake are heads! You are going to love Lancaster!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-267395.jpe
Views:	242
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	267448  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Everyone is right. Do not stay in downtown Lancaster. Intercourse would be a great place to stay. There are lots of B&B's in the general area. Many quilt shops on the back roads so be sure to rent a car and just go and have fun
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM

We were in Lancaster Co., in 1999. We found a motel in the little town of Intercourse called Harvest Drive Family Motel and Restaurant. It was located on a slight rise overlooking the farmlands of the Amish. Outside the rooms was a deck where they had placed chairs and tables where you could watch the sun go down and as it got dark watch the Amish go about their nightly duties tending to their livestock. There were no electrical lights, only karosene lamps that moved about their property. It was quite a seen to behold. I wish I could go with you, maybe one of these days we will make it back there in our motor home.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
I also hope that you plan to spend a bit of time in Harrisburg & Hershey. There are lots of fun things to do there!
Be sure and hit Intercourse, it has one of the top quilt shops in the United States. It is fabulous. Edie
Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM

A few years ago, along with sis-in-law and her husband, my husband and I took a 3 week trip with our campers. Visited battle grounds and various historial sites. We camped a few days in Lancaster County. Would love to go back and spend more time. Out of the huge back window in our camper was a field. We watched an Amish woman and her two sons harvesting their hay. She was driving as team of four horses while the boys threw the bales on the wagon. Fascinating area.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Are there real auctions there where you can get Amish quilt tops??? Or is that just an advertising ploy? Seems I read something about a firehouse that has the auction? Does anyone know when they are or anything about them?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM

[quote=vburr]I live about 40 miles from Lancaster...8 miles from Harrisburg. I go to Lancaster regularly for quilting supplies, fabric and fun. I usually go to a quilting retreat there twice a year also. This is the link where we have our quilting retreat. I would stay here instead of in a hotel for a better taste of the local area and history. the hospitality of the owners is wonderful: http://www.whiteoakbnb.com/

You will definitely need a car to explore. Lots of rural areas and places you won't want to miss. Please feel free to PM if you have more questions and I will try to help. I will be in Lancaster in the next week or two and I would be glad to gather some brochures and info for you and send them to you, if you wish.

I am sending you a picture of a famous fabric store (not the norm, mind you)

Which fabric store is this picture from? I'll be there next month and would like to see it.
Thanks