Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip Quilting >

Strip Quilting

Strip Quilting

Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM

quilts are as individual as we are, if you like, its perfect
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I cut the way I want to cut! cross grain or bias, right to left or left to right. I quillt for my enjoyment. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Quilting has guidelines not rules and the guidelines bend just like a quilt.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I use any ole fabric as foundation blocks, cut strips on the straight, and trim to size after they are pieced. Used newspaper once, it took forever to get it off and there were bits of newspaper turning up in corners and under furniture for weeks.

My point, if it works for you, do it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GoBama
I am a newbie--only been quilting a year--and I wanted to make a strip quilt. I cut the strips with the grain and of course when I pieced the blocks, the strips were on the diagonal. Due to my lack of foresight, that didn't become obvious until I was well underway. It is well basted and I'm hand quilting in a meander, so I'm not worried about stretching. However, when I took a block to the store to buy backing material, a lady who quilts looked at it and seemed horrified that I had done it that way. So embarrasing! If I should ever do this again, how should I cut the strips? Help please!

GoBama
I agree with another quilter, tell that person to take leap. I'm really new to quilting and have put together the mostgosh awful thing you've ever seen....decided this week thatI will cut it into strips and sew it together, sort of jelly roll quilt fashion....told on of my DD, who is a quilter, that it looks like quilt barf but in big pieces but I think if cut it in strips and sew it together again it will still be quilt barf but in strips ! I made a quilt top in my first and only quilting lesson and don't have the nerve to take it back to the shop for quilting because I heard them talking about other folks that brought their quilts in.....IF I ever finish the 1st quilt top I've decided to either hand quilt or machine quilt best I can !

REMEMBER, there are no Quilt Police....they might they they are deputies but the are not real !
Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM

You are fine!!! Just research strip quilts on line. There's also a great Yahoo Group site you can join for free called Heartstrings. Wonderful string quilts. Generally they are pieced on a white or muslin backing fabric or phone book pages to stabilize them. There are even QAYG (quilt as you go) instructions so that each square is quilted as you strip piece, so once you join the blocks all your quilting is done! Haven't tried it yet. We all run into the self important Quilt Police sooner or later. Hang in there!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM

maybe the lady was not passing judgement, but was more horrified due to being scared to do it that way, because maybe she tried and it did not work. (always different ways to look at things)

She should have commented, said something, anything, so you would know what the look meant.

I am new to quilting, and I don't really think there is a right way or wrong way (other than make sure right sides together LOL, made that mistake already)

I am starting to work on a crumb block, showed mother in law and she was amazed at the tiny pieces in it LOL

Looking forward to seeing your quilt
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Beware! The "quilt police" are lurking everywhere! I'm sure your quilt is just fine. Post a pix for us to see.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM

*looks around cautiously*

I best be sure to stay on the right side of the seam, each back on the foot pedal, and not drink and sew, else the quilt police will get me.

hmm wonder what they use for a breathalyzer... thread a needle test... hehe