Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not everybody appreciates quilts >

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Not everybody appreciates quilts

Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 PM

So...did you end up with clean/dry dishes? Just kidding..of course!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My DH thinks fat quarter are pretty rags to use as dishcloths. I found out he believed that by leaving stack of them on the kitchen counter.
LOL Sounds like something my hubby would do.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Fortunately, my DH appreciates and encourages my quilt making. Probably because then he doesn't feel so guilty about his model car collecting or golfing. I have heard many people say they can't understand why anyone would want to play golf. After all, they are just hitting a ball into a hole, picking it up and hitting it again. But avid golfers cannot live with out it. As for us quilters, yes we are cutting up perfectly good fabrics and sewing them back together, but we are avid about our craft and cannot live without it either. Therefore, to each his own. I always said that to my daughter when she was growing up when she made a snide remark about someone or something that she didn't like or understand. Boy, she hated it. when I said that.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Everyone is different.

I love quilts and my favorite is my grandmother's (deceased) leftover fabric quilt. I can see her blouses and many things she made/wore in that quilt. She taught my mom to sew and then my mom taught me. So it's special to me. Having said that if someone gave me a very traditional country style quilt I most likely wouldn't have it in my living room but folded and ready for use to keep warm. I can totally appreciate it and the work, of course, and country is lovely but it's not "me". I wasn't even the slightest interested in quilting until I saw watercolor quilts and portrait quilts. I have not done a portrait quilt but I LOVE the book.

Funny thing is I probably have given things to people/friends who REALLY like country but I didn't so they didn't get it. I don't mean as a formal gift just a off the cuff "here you go if you want it" gift.

Everyone's different.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM

You are absolutely Right! Everyone has his of her own taste, Leaves more for me! :D
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM

I hand quilted a quilt and gave it to my MIL. She said thank you for the blanket. I got it back after two years she couldn't use it anymore. It is in the closet now and in poor shape. Thought of giving it to Goodwill. It has some bad memories with it and I really don't like the memories. Since then she gets a card and a box of candy for Christmas. The reason I gave it to her was to endear her to me and it failed. I don't put myself in that position anymore. Hurtd yo much to be slapped in the face. My Grandkids asked what kind of quilt they were getting for Christmas this year. I am not making them one this year and I told them that and they just looked to me like I had crushed them. So plan s for neew quilts for next year are in the works.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by grdmachris
The reason I gave it to her was to endear her to me and it failed. I don't put myself in that position anymore. Hurtd yo much to be slapped in the face. My Grandkids asked what kind of quilt they were getting for Christmas this year. I am not making them one this year and I told them that and they just looked to me like I had crushed them. So plan s for neew quilts for next year are in the works.
Sounds like the grandkids are the ones who want and will cherish the quilts.

It is wise to think about who will love and appreciate our gifts. I've debated making my mom a quilt simply because I know that she buys things so inexpensively that I'm not sure she would appreciate the time I put into one (and the money). However, I made my dad a John Deere quilt a couple of years ago and he uses it almost every day as his lap blanket! It isn't because mom doesn't love me. That simply isn't true--it is because she can buy things so cheaply at yard sales and such, that I'm not sure that the difference I would spend in getting the fabrics and making it would be appreciated by her. However...the truth is, I have most of the fabrics I would need in order to make her one. I probably should do it. :)
Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 AM

ok I feel like quilts are to be love if it is supposed to be on display put a sleeve on it before you gift it and make a hanger for the person of course if you do this if it doesn't go with their decor you will be in trouble....or worse Hurt

When I first started quilting 3 years ago (been sewing for 40 years but quilting is a completely different art form - I had attempted quilts before that but until I actually learned mine were not useable had 2 I donated that were ok and 2 I made that pretty much fell apart.... I made my two grandsons quilts and since my sons little boy was born (he is a year old now) I made him two quilts the boys drag them to watch tv they drag them to sit on the floor they sleep with them but they are loved and they know where they came from ... now to funny stories about the youngest of the two He's 3 and he was about 2 when he got his first quilt because I gave it to him at my moms he thought she had given it to him it took several months and me sewing on a label in front of him to convince him I made it - other story is I borrowed a small alien quilt i had made for him (he knew that one was from me) it was when I was doing show an tell about my long arm business and I needed a kids quilt to show - anyway after asking and take the quilt (he was ok until I tried to leave) I brought it back he comes in the room took one look at what I had in my hands grabbed it and ran off he came back a few min later no quilt - he had taken it and hidden it so I wouldn't take it again to say he loves his quilts in an understatement :-)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 AM

yes, make your mom the quilt. If not for her, for yourself. you will be glad you did....and I believe, she will appreicate it more than you realize.
Michelle
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 PM

My DH used to think that way, until I reminded him that he takes perfectly good wood, cuts it up and puts it back together again in his workshop :-)

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
This is so true. Many people just don't understand why quilting is an enjoyable hobbie. My dh is one of them, why take perfectly good fabric, cut it into small pieces and sew it back to together? and it's way more expensive then buying one from the store.

I only give quilts to people who understand and actually like them.