Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER >

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM

I was 13 when I figured out my family didn't love me after a neighbor took me to church where I first heard about Jesus Christ and I learned that he loved me when no one else did. I'm 68 now and still love Jesus because he is the "Lover of my soul". I believe through Divine Intervention, I met my now husband of 50 years. His family are truly like the "Cleavers" and have loved me from the first time I met them. My last 50 years far outweigh the first 18 and I am thankful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for having changed my life... I believe my neighbor was the vessel He used to lead me to Him! Hallelujah for an unloved little girl whose life was changed by the touch of the Master's Hand...

(please forgive the lengthyness but had to tell my story and hopefully encourage someone through it)

Originally Posted by LIgrl
Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Originally Posted by Lisanne
What about you, Dreamer?

I would have come from a family
that loved and cared about me...
that would have formed a completely different me...
a me I would probably like today.
DITTO>>>..I could so relate to this. Oh and I wish I had walked away from them before the age of 43, too many beating from my mom and sister and that was in front of my children. Why did they do it? Once because I went to my daughters friends moms home for a cup of tea.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM

no getting married and no kids
Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM

OH - Do I soooo agree with you about toxic people! My mother is the toxic one in my life who caused so many divisions between myself and my brothers and their families. I have decided it is for my best health to stay clear of her and the drama she has caused in my life although I do feel very, very sorry for her. She is 82, lives alone and just sits in her house at her kitchen table all day. No one comes to visit her -- not even my 3 brothers. So what does that tell you?
I LOVE her lots; but I don't Like her -- if you know what I mean. You would think that at 82 she would want to see all her children get along and get together without incidences.[/quote]

Wow, we must be SISTERS, LOL. You just described my mother to a T. My parents, 4 brothers, and I all live within 5 miles of each other. We never have family get togethers, or even celebrate Christmas together because of her. I have one brother that I have not seen since 1999, because of my mother. As I look back, I think my mother has had a mental illness all of her adult life. However, she is paranoid and in denial. She refuses to get treatment. She believes she does not have a problem, but that everyone else does. Her constant negativity makes me stay away from her for my own mental health, she makes me very depressed. And now to make things worse, I believe she is starting to show signs of dementia. But she is my mother and I love her. It has made me try to be the best mother to my 2 children that I possibly can.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM

I am blessed, so would not change my life.
Well, maybe if I could do-over one thing, I would not have had a knee replacement, as it has hurt worse every day since then. But, I am so BLESSED with a loving husband of almost sixty years, that I am giving thanks for my life as it is. I like myself and would be my own best friend if my husband were not already my best friend. :)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM

[quote=ptquilts

I would have taken better care of my teeth.[/quote]

I would have done this. I wouldn't yell as much to my kids.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 PM

My children all turned out to be very good people but I did not take them to church after about the age of 10 or so. I am sure their lives would of been much easier if they would of received a better christian education I also regret I did not turn in the men who mollested me as a child It would of saved one more child that I know of from being molested.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 PM

I would have pursued a Ph.d and became a professor.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

A do over....

So many things have shaped who I am??? I always say the hard things I go through in life are growing pains.
I don't know that I would change anything....I had a horrible childhood that I am still sorting out sometimes.....I am overweight (fat) I should have taken better care of myself (emotional eater)...I married my high school sweetheart who didn't ever want to quilt dating...LOL .Got a divorce......and here I am!

I am re-married...for almost 9 years now...6 children..blended family..His, Mine, ours and somebody else's and I wouldn't change a thing!

I struggle currently because I am a full-time mother, Quilter and student. SO many of you said education....I always think this to myself.."why didn't you do this earlier?" and I have come to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't have tried as hard...after suffering without and education...I now appreciate what I missed out on...I will graduate next SUMMER!!!

On the flip side:
I can see so many of my own qualities that I hate in myself, in my daughter...it makes my have empathy for her because I know the road she will travel...it is difficult to watch but in some weird way I just assume she will be OK...after all I made right?
she sacrifices herself for everyone around her..she doesn't like anyone to be uncomfortable..she tunes into everyone else but not herself...oh the list goes on...I felt guilty for teaching her these things...just by example...but in the end sometimes those can be good qualities right?

So I will just pray for her. God Loves her more than I do..he will guide her.

Leatheflea...You re so funny! I bleach my hair too...but I am actually thankful I started that habit because now that I am getting gray hairs nobody notices..LOL

Sometimes looking at older pictures ..I do say to myself...Thank GOD you quit dyeing your own hair! And in some cases....WOW how could you let your roots get that long? Or who talked you into that hair style?? LOL
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 PM

I agree with the smoking! Trying to cut down... doing better got one of those electronic cigs and it does help it does help.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't of been soo careless about my virginity..I'd of waited for dh..My mom always told me, boy was she right.. I'd of gotten into my hobbies sooner and tried to make money off them sooner..And I would open a shop...I soooo want to do that..A shop where all crafters can come in and work on a project for however long they want and have an area for readers and a part for coffee/tea and snacks...I'd call it Sisters At Heart..But I'd KEEP my dh and daughter's..