Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER >

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
Hmm.. this is a tough one. Mistakes and all I am happy with my choices. I do not regret thinking I was ready for motherhood at 18 instead of finishing college first because that miracle is 6 and the best part of my life. I do not regret getting married at 19 to my high school sweetheart that I had been dating for 5 years at the time. I do not regret having the best parents, that adopted me at 5 weeks old, that a girl could wish for. I like being raised as an only child.
I regret being molested at 13 by an uncle and instead of simply stopping it and pretending it didn't happen I had his ass put in JAIL. I regret not being born to my mom.I regret having to deal with knowing who birthed me and the fact that they kept my older brother and younger sister. I regret not being able to fully understand why I was not good enough and they were even though I wouldn't dare voice it to them. I regret not being closer to my "sister and brother" even though they have each other. I regret not knowing my neices and nephew and them not knowing their cousin. But even if I could change what I have done, the things I regret are not things of my doing. I can only continue forward knowing that I will never do to another what has been done to me. I love my son and will be responsible enough to care for any children I have and not give them away because I don't feel like being mommy to more than one child. I will not make my child question his self- worth because I don't want to admit fault in my own actions.
Sorry, I guess the question got to me a bit :/ I think maybe it's time for bed before I write you all a book! Apologies for the rant.
Love your answer. Best wishes always and big hug too!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Wow, I spent a long time last night reading this thread, and praying. I am among those of you who really can't think of anything I'd want to "do-over", but then, I have been incredibly blessed. I cried over many of your circumstances and continue to pray for my adult kids who are facing tough times. Someone posted this on Facebook recently and it really struck me:
"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right and forget about the ones who don't.
And believe that everything happens for a reason...
if you get a chance - take it;
if it changes your life - let it.
Nobody said it would be easy...
They just promised it would be worth it."

God bless each of you who have had such a rough road. You deserve better.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I'd have figured out a way to get into the textile industry - at least set up a fabric shop and accommodate all the people who now have to drive miles in order to get a piece of fabric... I'm so hoping for something closer to open... about 50 miles one way to get to the closest for me, and that is a Walmart that does not offer much... sad!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by happymrs
OH - Do I soooo agree with you about toxic people! My mother is the toxic one in my life who caused so many divisions between myself and my brothers and their families. I have decided it is for my best health to stay clear of her and the drama she has caused in my life although I do feel very, very sorry for her. She is 82, lives alone and just sits in her house at her kitchen table all day. No one comes to visit her -- not even my 3 brothers. So what does that tell you?
I LOVE her lots; but I don't Like her -- if you know what I mean. You would think that at 82 she would want to see all her children get along and get together without incidences.
My mother was like this too! I learned to keep my distance, as much as possible! She died at 84, a lonely old woman, I'm sure, & hate to say it, but don't miss her. I loved her, just couldn't like her much. You are about toxic people, & we all need to avoid these kinds, as much as possible, even if we are unlucky enough to be related to them! Like is too short & why put ourselves through it!...

Me too and the shame of it is my brothers went out and married women as toxic as my mom. It's almost like they enjoyed the misery.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Not sure I would change a thing. My life has made me who I am today. I happen to like me.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 PM

every misstake i have ever made ( even today ) makes me wiser and just a bit smarter we have just recently lost our house but you know what a house is just a house but it is us who make it a home
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I definatley would not have married this time (#2)
Old 10-09-2011, 01:13 PM

At the age of 55, I went back to school, complete with living in a dorm with 350 ... 20-somethings. and graduated with a degree in office management and accounting. I am not sure where my education was...in the classroom or the dorm. whew...it was something.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
raising my kids.
Me, too....I would savor every single moment with them as they grew from babies to the day they became young adults. Time passes too quickly.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Would have put everything off and went to see my Mom before she died. Only consolation is that I got to tell her I loved her before she went into surgery.