Squaring up a quilt after FMQ'ing but before binding

Squaring up a quilt after FMQ'ing but before binding

Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM

I should have posted do you wash Quilt prior to binding
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
I should have posted do you wash Quilt prior to binding
I don't understand why you would want to wash your quilt before adding the binding .... is there a reason?

If you want to wash the quilt ... wait til after your binding is on.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

After assembling the top and borders, I square up using a huge 16.5" square up ruler and then batt, baste, and quilt it. I square up again if it needs it, bind, and then WASH. Always.

My quilts are dragged around on floor, table, chair, to guild meetings and bees, shown off to friends and family, sat upon by the cat before I call them finished. I wouldn't want them next to MY face or body without washing!! Besides which, I appreciate the crinkly, old-fashioned look and the feel of the batting after the quilt is washed.

Jan in VA
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 AM

The reason why Leah washed after she quilts and before binding is because the quilt shrinks from the FMQ'ng which makes sense...she squares it up after she washes it and then binds. I never have thought of that but it does make sense.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 PM

I think it really has to do with how and what the quilt use will be. Most of the professional show quilter's block their quilts so that they will lie flat for judging/show. Wetting the quilt, then blocking while damp by pinning it to a carpet, etc...making sure it's perfectly square..then allowing it to dry completely while pinned in place, insures the quilt will lie flat for show/judging. I do this for wall quilts. Most of my quilts are made for family to use as bedding...I don't block these...but, I do wash them before giving them, especially the embroidered and those with heavy quilting. I do bind them first though. To date, I haven't done a single show quilt...though I have an idea for one..if it turns out, I'll enter in a local (well closest one to me) show & see what happens.

I didn't find the link on Leah's blog about how she does her quilts...anyone have a link?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM

http://daystyledesigns.com/faq.htm#square
Originally Posted by margecam52
I think it really has to do with how and what the quilt use will be. Most of the professional show quilter's block their quilts so that they will lie flat for judging/show. Wetting the quilt, then blocking while damp by pinning it to a carpet, etc...making sure it's perfectly square..then allowing it to dry completely while pinned in place, insures the quilt will lie flat for show/judging. I do this for wall quilts. Most of my quilts are made for family to use as bedding...I don't block these...but, I do wash them before giving them, especially the embroidered and those with heavy quilting. I do bind them first though. To date, I haven't done a single show quilt...though I have an idea for one..if it turns out, I'll enter in a local (well closest one to me) show & see what happens.

I didn't find the link on Leah's blog about how she does her quilts...anyone have a link?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:09 PM

I think this is the instructions you are mentioning, correct?

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/blocking.htm

This is the way most professional show quilts are done. It ensures that the quilt will be exactly square and lie flat for show & judging. Binding after blocking the quilt allows for the binding to be/look perfect. I wouldn't go through the trouble for everyday quilts...but some do. It's like all crafts...matter of the crafter's preference

Originally Posted by carolaug
Do you square your quilt top before or after?

I was just reading on Leah Day's blog that she FMQs then puts the quilt in the bath tub with hot water...dries and then squares it off...then binds. Never heard of that...does anyone else do that?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks I was going to ask how to "block." How do you block if you don't have a large carpet to pin it to? And do you need to rinse in hot water?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 PM

For me, it depends on what I'm working on and what it looks like when I'm done FMQing.

I ALWAYS trim my quilts square before adding binding, and if it's really distorted from FMQ and is going to be a wall hanging, table topper or the like, I may soak and block it before trimming to ensure it will lay nicely, even after lots of use. If it's a bed quilt, sofa throw or lap quilt, I'll just trim it square and bind it. Then I wash it before using or gifting so it's ready for use.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

In my last reply, I included a link to the article Leah Day has on how she blocks her quilts:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/blocking.htm

She uses to large (probably 4x8ft) insulation boards.

Originally Posted by commonthread
Thanks I was going to ask how to "block." How do you block if you don't have a large carpet to pin it to? And do you need to rinse in hot water?