Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM

HI all
Been so busy so need to do some reading. What I have read sounds like your all doing very well.
MJ so happy for the news you got. As others have said go slow and easy. You will be doing that mile no no time at all.
Irish I would love to go with you on the walk with you and your two pals but we would have to bring our Jasper along.
You all have mentioned how hard it is to get past the160,150,170 # mark. I have had the same trouble. I've been working on the same 7#'s for the past 3 months. Every time I make a few #'s headway it vanishes almost overnight I have have done nothing different. Very upsetting.
Will check back later Jasper is at my side pressing his nose on my arm to let me know it's his dinner time.
Hugs and Blessings to all
Gail
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the tip. I can only go so fast, but willing to try.I have exercise asthma....if I walk...never mind run.....I get short of breath & have to stop to recover.I;m not sure normal walking does me any good...so far as losing wt.Think I pretty much have my eating under control,,,as to calories & eating healthy.Will let you know when the flab realizes it's losing this battle :D :D I usually watch tv when on the glider.....

plainpat, one thing I have done that moved the scale is 'spikes'. I think I've seen it mentioned here as intervals. I will go full throttle on the elliptical for 10-15 seconds, after warming up at least 5 minutes. Once my heart rate has recovered, usually 2-3 minutes, I will do it again....until I finish my workout , around 30 minutes. You could do the same on your glider, spiking for 5 seconds at a time as you strengthen your heart & lungs. Do you listen to music as you exercise? The faster the better for me and not as boring. :D :D
Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM

I wish I'd taken a camera on our walk, but I'd have been short a few hands. The sunset over the lake was spectacular. It turned the whole 2500 acre lake a gorgeous shade of pink. There were quite a few people with cameras on the East side.

I ate less dinner tonight and the gall bladder pain is less. Now I want something else, but I'll wait.

Gail, I think you and I are in about the same place in our weight loss journeys. I will not give up. You and Jasper would be welcome. Moira likes dogs her size or smaller - though tonight she was interacting well with a big dog.

Pat, what do you know about asthma and coffee? When my GD was here this Summer she asked if I had coffee in the house. Her doctor has prescribed coffee for an attack. I had read it somewhere and it was nice to hear a doctor that is willing to try such things. M says it works. She didn't bring her nebulizer with her at all. Can she exercise? - she plays on the high school basketball for a very large school. I'd say yes.

Wishing you all pretty sunrises (for you morning people) and pretty sunsets (for us night owls).
Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 PM

WE HAVE HAD RAIN TODAY!! Puddles, even! I am so grateful! I don't sew when we have lightning, so it has been quite the lazy day for me. I did not walk this morning, opting instead for Billy Blanks' latest dvd Cardio S.O.S. My choreography did not match theirs, but I did keep moving for 45 minutes. I am sore this evening. Not sure if I will do it again tomorrow, or pick another new one from my pile.

Nancia, expecting a good report from your mri. Loved your "she drowned" epitaph. Super congrats on your new weight!!! You are doing so great.

Judy, are you trying smaller meals? Your walks seem peaceful. Did you get much sewing done today?

Murphy1, I once heard someone say that hunger is part of the process. Maybe that will help you stay strong between meals.

BARES, glad to have you back.

Xylie, girl, you are scaring us to death. Please take a time out. I would like to know if you can bottle some of that energy you have and send it my way?

Jeanne, praying for you to get some direction on Tuesday!

elm, sorry, but I can't help. Was it with this group?

Hi Gail!

plainpat, my best success comes from stringent eating. I have always believed that you cannot exercise away bad food choices. Be patient. I believe that your breathing issues will ease as you continue to lose weight. Only you know your limitations. You can do it.

My eating has been too slack this weekend. I do best when I have pre-planned my meals - something I have not done for a few days. Hard to get excited about eating when it all tastes the same. It takes time to research recipes. ugh.

Have a great Sunday night. Josh has a student holiday tomorrow, so it will be quiet here.

Hugs.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Nancy, The splash for Murphy in the town fountain sounds like it must have been great fun.

Bares, I am new here but I do think you should keep reading and participating so you do not loose focus.

Xylie55, wish I could share my friend with you. Last night I took my salad to her house for dinner, ate 3 (small) meatballs and one raviolli. She thought I was normal. Her brother came and was making a chip dip, I left before it was finished, it was ealier that trying to say no to him. Maybe you could feed birds with what your neighbor pushes on you?

I had to drive past my favorite fast food fish shop today and I just kept thinking of all of you giving me the encouragement to just drive past it. Thanks!

Jeannette in NJ
Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 PM

No, Lynne, my walks have not been peaceful for the three years Moira has been with me. Border Collie and Lab. Think bouncy, high energy with some issues with bigger dogs, bikers, running children, plus her perchant for eating inappropriate things like dead snakes, etc. Hard to relax, but I can still enjoy my lovely scenery and tonight I met several friends. Luckily both dogs love people. Moira makes me laugh so she's a keeper. Sewing - make that unsewing. I cut one frame too narrow, but it's fixed now.

Stringent eating is hard for me. I have no appestat so I have to be the governor and it's not always easy. Yes, I had a smaller dinner and the pain is much better. I will have an apple later. I'm low on fruit today. I don't think a pumpkin muffin has enough to count. Will make new muffins in the morning. Cherry Almond sound good.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 PM

lynne-- as usual you amaze me with your ability to reach out to everyone! thank you for your support and encouragement! i was so excited about my new weight i wanted to go out to eat! how goofy! so i went out and bought fabric--24 yards, ooooo, i am reclined here with all of it on and around me. silly, i know, but it just feels decadent. of course, there are no calories, so i'm just enjoying my good fortune! keep using exclamation points! as soon as my back gets quiet i will take my treasures upstairs to the washer. always thought an upstairs washing machine made sense, now that i'm older and empty-nesting, i find it's a nuisance. my knees and hips (forget about my back!) are not crazy about stairs. well, i'll chalk it up as exercise! i AM losing weight! i am in control. it is up to me!!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM

xylie-- i had a video chat with olivia and she says hi! she was wearing her RANGERS onesie and her sneaker socks. hate to say it, but she looked just like her daddy! good thing i knew she was a girl! she is cute, and of course, beautiful, but she isn't pretty yet. she looks so much like her dad did, that i feel she looks more like a boy, but her mom says she sees her totally as a girl. (would never tell her i think olivia is not pretty, yet.) she will come into her own as she gets older. she is just adorable!! go rangers! sorry the phillies didn't make it to the world series, but now i don't have a divided allegience.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:00 PM

I have got to do better this week. I have not been as strict with my diet since my 21 year old daughter moved home. I will eat better and drink more water.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM

I am so glad we are getting rain here in the Dallas area except it is causing me to hurt more where my huge incision is and when I cough.

I have been enjoying my son and DIL today, it is great that they were able to come up and spend time with me.

I feel like I have several broken ribs from the surgery where they took out the lung. Still no results from the biopsy done since they resection.

I am up moving a little more, finally getting comfortable to sit at the dinning room table for meals. must have a pillow with me always for cough support. As I had mom tonight give my back a sponge bath she stated that some areas of the incision are healing. Still painful to move and cough but improvements are happening.

I am hoping to get in the sewing room this week and do some sewing. Will see how that one goes.

my starting weight was 212 when I weighed this morning I am down to 196.7. I am excited about that. I prayer that as my appetite returns that I dont go back to the starting weight.