Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Account Fraud....Be Careful >

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Several weeks ago we were out to dinner when my husband's cell phone indicated a message received. When he opened it it read that "your card has been deactivated", please call..... to reactivate it."
He went out and called the number and instantly realized it was an ID theft scam.

As soon as I saw that message the alarms went off...why would our bank be calling at 6 PM on a Saturday evening with a local phone number. In the past the only time a call has come from the bank was when they (Wells Fargo in this case) spoted unusual activitiy and called to verify it.

DH went into the local bank branch later and spoke with the manager who verified that they were aware of it.
My only complaint is that if they knew about it, why didn't they notify the news media an make it public.

They're always out there and constantly working to find a "mark". Be alert, and NEVER give out personal information over the phone or on the internet. Honest businesses don't do business that way.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Don't assume that if you lose your bank card, it is useless to who ever finds it. All they have to do is change your pin number. It's easy. They call the bank, use your name, after all its on the card, obtain the bank's special 4 digit code and use the atm to change the pin number. Its amazing how dishonest people know things that honest people don't know. I learned this the hard way. Luckily I got to the bank before the "finder" got to the atm.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Wow! What an awakening. I guess we are never safe anymore.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 AM

We have a specific card we use online with a very low credit limit. Any transaction attempted over that limit will be denied.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

don't know if this has been mentioned, but when you write a check, don't let ppl in line see it.
They can get your routing and account numbers off of it, along with your name and address and bank.
Once you think about it, that's a lot of personal information right there, and if you have appt. cards, etc. in your wallet, you may be "revealing" lots of info to strangers!
It's getting to be a freaky world. We have to conduct ourselves as if we are being spied on all the time...bc that is what is happening!
opportunists abound :shock:
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM

Wow,this is scary.I too don't have any $ to speak of.If I got $30.00 in it,I'm rich.