Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drawing and FMQ >

Drawing and FMQ

Drawing and FMQ

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM

Don't feel badly, I think some of us are cut out for it and some are not.

I'm sure if I practiced and practiced and practiced I could get it down, BUT, I find no pleasure at all in machine quilting my own items. The lady that I have machine quilt my quilt for me even let me do one on her long arm (she thought I'd enjoy it more if I tried it on a long arm) and I must admit that I did not. I was stressed...my shoulders ached after I was done, AND I saw ever little imperfection on it.

For me personally, it is more of a pleasure to pick up my quilt from the machine quilter with butterflies in my stomach wondering what it will look like rather than spending agonizing hours doing it myself.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:22 AM

I highly recomend Patsy Thompson Quilting DVD's. You can find them at big Joann's and you can use a coupon. Her feather one worked wonders for me. And I can't draw at all!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 AM

Don't listen to that bad advice. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler but I FMQ and it's pretty good. The secret is building muscle memory. When there's something you want to quilt, whether it's FMQ feathers or meandering or bitty circles, draw it with paper and pencil or on a white board, over and over and over. You'll get better and better. A friend could not do those tiny circle, bubble FMQ no matter what, so she just did tiny squares and they look good too.
Whatever you do, practice, practice, practice and don't give up.
Jenny
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
You can also get Golden Threads paper. You trace the quilt design on to it and pin it to the quilt and just quilt along the lines. That will also help you develop muscle memory. Believe me I can't draw much either, but with the paper it comes out looking pretty good.
I agree! I am doing a King size quilt right now and use golden threads paper for my motifs. I am pretty pleased with myself! I can't draw either, but I can trace and I can follow the lines!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 AM

This is what I have a hard time wrapping my brain around.

If you are drawing on paper you are holding the paper still and moving the pencil.
If you are FMQ on a domestic machine MOST times you are moving the quilt(paper) and the machine (pencil) stays still.
To me it is a totally different feel .
Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 AM

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm in the same boat as you. My husband bought me a longarm and insists that all I have to do is decide that I can do it! Well, maybe for him, he's more of an artist than I am. I can picture something in my head but it doesn't translate to paper very well. But I am getting better. I can do a nice stipple now and am slowly learning more and getting better. I probably will never get really good with FMQ (I like ruler work better) but I think I will still learn a lot as time goes on.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 AM

I originally trained as an Art teacher, and I don't really agree with the idea that you present. I think if you practice your drawing and sewing then both will improve. You are possibly being too tough on yourself too soon. No one becomes a marvellous quilter overnight - it takes practice. I hope you persevere with it a bit longer, as there will come a time when everything will click into place and you will have a eureka moment.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 AM

I too have been hesitant to do FMQ because I could never draw well. These suggestions are great, and I will keep trying. Thank you ladies!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Another site that has free designs is http://www.forestquilting.com I trace a design on tracing
paper then pin to the quilt and follow the lines..you can
practice on a quilt sandwich of scraps. Coloring books are
good also for designs..good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM

I would just go for it, drawing ability or not. I am not an artist by any means, but I can FMQ and thread paint with some degree of ability. It takes a lot of practice, but I always make up practice squares before beginning to FMQ and that does help. Good luck!