Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My heart is breaking... >

My heart is breaking...

My heart is breaking...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM

I was shocked when I was thre a few weeks ago to find this out and waht a shame, this will be a termendous loss as there are so few palces to go to that are well stocked, btw I live over 6 hours away and my friend and I ar ethinking of driving up later this week to get more great buys,.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Sorry about your lost of job, friends and a place you've known for so long. Would the grocery store still let them rent a spot? Maybe there is another spot they could rent if it worked out for them. I'll say a prayer for you. It's hard losing something like that and a job. can't they get help from the government being a small business so they wouldn't have to close all together they might be able to get enough help to open somewhere else. Good Luck. Sue
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM

So sorry to hear this, I recall 2 of my fav stores closing, hate it.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sew watts quilter
I just visited Hayloft today. You can tell a lot of their stock is already gone. I would say maybe 25% of their bolts are gone. Still a good selection though. We had to wait on line for a long time to get our fabric cut (about 45 minutes). All the people in line were commiserating with each other. I felt so sad leaving.
It was absolutely nuts today! I was wondering which customer you were today. But, alas, I am trying to remain incognito. :) We appreciate it so much when everyone is patient when lines are long. We usually only have two people working on a Monday, today we had nine. Right now I am loving my cushy sofa, ice pack, and motrin. It was an exhausting day. whew.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 AM

Seam Ripper, I would love to know which one you are. You may remember me as the one that came in with the "Silk Quilt" for show and tell. I will be in either today or tomorrow, have 2 different directions to go, can't decide which one to do today. I also showed the Girl Scout Quilt 2 weeks ago, that I made with fabric from your store. I sure wish you guys could find another property to open up in. I think people who don't live in this immediate area don't understand the dynamics of the area and the people in it. I am quite sure your shop has enjoyed low rent for many years, and now it becomes "sticker shock" to see what rent really IS in the area. I also know there aren't that many desirable buildings to open up in. And then there is also the fact that you were given such little notice. Not much can be accomplished in 6 weeks, but to liquidate.
Anyway....my heart is with all of you wonderful people, and I hope you can find new jobs and resume your lives. I spoke with a couple of the girls in the grocery store below, that I have come to know so well; and they are also having a hard time knowing what to do.
These are all hard working people who NEED these jobs to support their families, not a bunch of "Yuppies" who work just for the fun of it. My heart is breaking with you.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM

I too am very sad to hear of this store closing ...I just got into Quilting and just found out about this great store ....
I've emailed my regrets to the "contact us" link...
So sorry to hear of any, one more person losing their job.....I wish you gals opperating it daily could find a way to take it over at a new nearby store front...Just an idea ?
Good luck to all the employees...
Pam in Downingtown, PA
Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 AM

I feel so badly for you. It is a sign of the times, not always for the better. Miracles do still happen.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 AM

As I heard about this my heart was also broken. I have been coming there for 20 years at least, when I went the other week, I rounded the corner, and just filled up. I can't believe it.
It is the most wonderful place that anyone could want. I always felt welcomed, loved, helped, inspired, encouraged by
all who worked there. I would bring a group of ladies and we would spend hours there. Isn't there anything any of us can do,
maybe we could picket or sign a petition or something. My heart to is broken.....
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM

Well, I just got back from a morning at Hayloft. Everything is 50% off. I felt it was my duty to help out the cause, so I spent $466. JDeery and her friend will have a good time "shopping" my stash next time they come over to play. I went down to the grocery store and talked to a guy who I think is the manager or something, he's been there since he was a kid. Anyway he said BB's wanted to keep the fabric store, but Martins (the current owners) said no. They are going to concentrate on their meat and grocery business located in Reading. The last day of business will be Nov. 5th. A lot of the fabric is gone, getting very picked over; I certainly did my part, I bought 108 3/4 yds of fabric.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM

I
Originally Posted by PJSUMMER
I too am very sad to hear of this store closing ...I just got into Quilting and just found out about this great store ....
I've emailed my regrets to the "contact us" link...
So sorry to hear of any, one more person losing their job.....I wish you gals opperating it daily could find a way to take it over at a new nearby store front...Just an idea ?
Good luck to all the employees...
Pam in Downingtown, PA
I agree Pam I wish they could too. Those ladies in there are really wonderful people. They really try to help you find what you want and the best part about it they always have a pleasant way about them and always a smile. That would be great if they could find a way to where they could take over the fabric business. I'll have all of them in my prayers that they might find a way to do it and if not then I'll be praying for them to keep their jobs with the new owners.